Mavs launch probe after allegations of workplace misconduct

first_imgAFP official booed out of forum Slow and steady hope for near-extinct Bangladesh tortoises View comments Ussery had left Nike to join the Mavericks and had previously served as commissioner of the old Continental Basketball Association. He was praised by former NBA Commissioner David Stern and served as the Mavericks’ alternate governor with the league.“I am deeply disappointed that anonymous sources have made such outright false and inflammatory accusations against me,” Ussery said. “During my nearly 20-year tenure with the Mavericks, I am not aware of any sexual harassment complaints about me or any findings by the organization that I engaged in inappropriate conduct.”Ussery said he had raised concerns about other Mavericks employees who he said engaged in inappropriate sexual conduct and the organization didn’t address those concerns.“I believe these misleading claims about me are part of an attempt to shift blame for the failure to remove employees who created an uncomfortable and hostile work environment within the Mavericks organization,” Ussery saidCuban told the magazine that the team was establishing a hotline for counseling and support services for past and current employees. He is mandating sensitivity training for all employees, himself included. MOST READ Injured Castro out for Gilas duel vs Aussies Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Globe Business launches leading cloud-enabled and hardware-agnostic conferencing platform in PH Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC NEXT BLOCK ASIA 2.0 introduces GURUS AWARDS to recognize and reward industry influencers 2 ‘newbie’ drug pushers fall in Lucena sting Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH The Mavericks said Wednesday they hired Evan Krutoy and Anne Milgrim to lead the independent investigation. Krutoy served as a prosecutor at the Manhattan District Attorney’s office for over 20 years and served as Acting Deputy Bureau Chief of the Sex Crimes Unit. Milgrim is a professor at New York University School of Law, and a former former New Jersey attorney general.SI contacted six female former Mavericks or American Airlines Center employees who claimed they left the sports sector because of a structure that left them feeling vulnerable and devalued while protecting powerful men who misbehaved. A male former department head said there was “built-in protection for a lot of men.”A woman who had recently been hired as a support staffer said Ussery made sexually suggestive remarks to her in the media dining room before a game during the 2010-11 season, when the Mavericks won their only NBA championship. The woman said she had been told by others to be wary of Ussery.“Obviously there’s a problem in the Mavericks organization and we’ve got to fix it,” Cuban told the magazine. “I’m embarrassed, to be honest with you, that it happened under my ownership, and it needs to be fixed.”Two women claimed the Ussery harassed them for years, incidents that ranged from inappropriate remarks to requests for sex to touching women’s calves and thighs during meetings.ADVERTISEMENT Read Next Mark Cuban, owner of the Dallas Mavericks, looks on with Dwight Powell #7, Salah Mejri #50 and Maximilian Kleber #42 in the final seconds of their 112-107 loss to the Atlanta Hawks at Philips Arena on December 23, 2017 in Atlanta, Georgia. Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images/AFPDALLAS (AP) — The Dallas Mavericks have hired outside counsel to investigate allegations of inappropriate conduct by former team president Terdema Ussery in a Sports Illustrated report that described a hostile workplace for women.Ussery was accused of making sexually suggestive remarks to several women. He spent 18 years with the team before going to the sports apparel company Under Armour in 2015. Ussery, who was investigated by the team over similar claims in 1998, denied the allegations in a statement to SI.ADVERTISEMENT LATEST STORIES The report said team website reporter Earl Sneed was twice accused of domestic assault while working for the Mavericks, including a guilty plea in a case that was dismissed when he met the conditions of the agreement.The team said Sneed had been fired, and Mavericks owner Mark Cuban told SI that he fired human resources director Buddy Pittman after learning details of the magazine’s report. Pittman and Sneed declined to comment to SI.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSLillard, Anthony lead Blazers over ThunderSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutThe NBA said the Mavericks had informed the league of the allegations involving Ussery and Sneed.“This alleged conduct runs counter to the steadfast commitment of the NBA and its teams to foster safe, respectful and welcoming workplaces for all employees,” the league said. “Such behavior is completely unacceptable and we will closely monitor the independent investigation into this matter.” John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s weddinglast_img read more

This Swiss conglomerate is abolishing top CEO position

first_imgSwiss luxury company Richemont is scrapping away the role of Chief Executive Officer starting from next year when its current CEO Richard Lepeu retires in March 2017. The firm that owns Cartier, Montblanc and more than a dozen other high-end brands is also planning to retire eight directors on the board. The company’s founder and chairman Johann Rupert will stay and may consolidate his power. “Rupert is getting back into the saddle and will run it himself, while delegating heavily in terms of operations and brands,” Jon Cox, head of European consumer equities at Kepler Cheuvreux, was quoted as saying by the Wall Street Journal. Under the new management rejig, heads of individual brands will be reporting directly to the board. “I think it’s going to make it a lot easier. One individual cannot be held responsible,” Rupert said during a recent conference call. News of eliminating the top post comes after the company reported a 51 percent dive in net profit during the first-half of the present financial year. The company declared profit of $599 million while sales fell 13 percent to Euro 5.1 billion. The Geneva-based company employs about 30,000 people. It also owns brands such as Chloe and Van Cleef & Arpels. Luxury companies, especially in Europe are currently “struggling” to maintain sales levels. In Europe, tourism has taken a hit following terrorist attacks and Brexit. Investors “welcomed” the move. Shares of the luxury goods maker were reportedly up nine percent following the news, the telegraph reported. “Everything is changing and we want to stay ahead of that curve,” Rupert added.last_img read more

Rain brings fears of landslides again

first_imgRain brings fears of landslides againThe inhabitants of Rangamati are in fear of fresh landslides as it rained again on Thursday evening. Drizzling started from the night and has continued till Friday morning, when this report was being written.The people in the hill areas were taking refuge in the shelters. The local administration used megaphones to caution the people and helped them reach the shelters. A total of 12 shelters were opened with a capacity of housing around 2000 people.Shabana Khatun, one of the inhabitants of the hilly area who took shelter at the shelter house said she feared landslides would resume any moment.Rabi Mohan Chakma, the councilor of Bhedbhedi ward no 6, said people are in fear after rain resumed.Meanwhile, members of the fire service have resumed rescue operations in the BhedBhedi area where three people are reportedly still missing.last_img read more

Khaleda cant use left hand physician tells AFP

first_imgBangladesh Nationalist Party chairperson Khaleda Zia (C) looks on as she is escorted to Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University (BSMMU) in Dhaka on 6 October, 2018. Photo: AFPBangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) chairperson, Khaleda Zia, transferred to hospital last weekend from the 19th-century jail where she is the only prisoner, can no longer use her left hand, her physician told AFP on Tuesday.Khaleda Zia, 73, was jailed in February for corruption and has been on trial in a special room in the abandoned Dhaka Central Jail on additional graft charges that her supporters say are politically motivated.On Saturday Zia, a long rival to prime minister Sheikh Hasina, was transferred to hospital because of poor health following an order from the High Court.”Her symptoms have worsened in the last few months,” Abdul Jalil Chowdhury, one of the physicians at the Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University (BSMMU) hospital who has since examined her, told AFP.”She has developed deformity of left hand in the last few months due to long standing rheumatoid arthritis. She can’t use her left hand,” he said.”In addition, she has developed left frozen shoulder,” he said, adding Khaleda Zia was also suffering from neck and back pain and she is a diabetic.Lawyers for Zia, prime minister from 1991-1996 and 2001-2006, had argued that the government was putting her health at risk by refusing her specialised care in prison.When Khaleda Zia — who leads the Bangladesh Nationalist Party — was jailed in February for corruption, the sentence triggered clashes between police and thousands of BNP supporters.She was found guilty of embezzling money intended for an orphanage.Khaleda Zia is appealing against the verdict — which bars her from standing in the general election set for December — and was granted bail earlier this year.However she remains in custody while she fights dozens of other violence and graft charges.Last month the authorities turned a room of the jail into a court — a move her lawyers said was illegal.Khaleda Zia already had health issues including arthritis, diabetes and knee replacements when she was sentenced.She is the only inmate in Dhaka Central Jail, built in the 19th century under British colonial rule and declared abandoned in 2016.Her party boycotted the 2014 election in which Sheikh Hasina returned to power but is expected to contest the election due in December.last_img read more

Spain set for crisis talks

first_imgA man walks with the Catalan flag in Barcelona on Tuesday. AFPSpain’s government prepared to hold crisis talks on Wednesday after Catalan leaders signed a suspended declaration of independence and called for dialogue with Madrid.Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy will chair an emergency cabinet meeting in response to Catalan leader Carles Puigdemont’s announcement on Tuesday that he had accepted “the mandate of the people for Catalonia to become an independent republic” following a banned referendum earlier this month.But Puigdemont in his declaration to parliament called for Catalonia’s independence to be suspended to allow for negotiations with Madrid.Rajoy has vowed to use everything in his power to prevent independence and has refused to rule out imposing direct rule over the semi-autonomous region — an unprecedented move many fear could lead to unrest.At stake is the future of a region of 7.5 million people, one of Spain’s economic powerhouses, whose drive to break away has raised concern for stability in the European Union.Crowds of thousands gathered outside the parliament building in Barcelona on Tuesday evening, waving Catalan flags and banners screaming “democracy” in the hope of witnessing a historic night in a region that remains deeply divided over independence.But Spain’s political establishment rounded on Puigdemont following the declaration, and support among separatists in Catalonia was mixed.Deputy prime minister Soraya Saenz de Santamaria told reporters shortly after the signing that Puigdemont was “a person who doesn’t know where he is, where he’s going or with whom he wants to go”.Barcelona resident Maria Rosa Bertran said she was against a delayed secession.”I find it even worse because it is suffering a longer agony. Indecision and uncertainty is the worst thing that can happen to us,” she told AFP.- Unknown consequences -Political leaders in Catalonia, Spain and Europe have come out against secession, concerned over the country’s biggest upheaval in decades.Following his declaration to parliament, Puigdemont and his allies signed an independence declaration outside the chamber, but its legal validity was unclear.Spain and Catalonia now enter into the unknown, as Madrid has repeatedly said independence is not up for discussion.Marc Cazes, a student in Barcelona, said: “I did not expect independence to be declared today because of all the processes that the government of Spain has begun, both with police actions and with threats.”Catalonia pressed ahead with an independence referendum on October 1 that the central government said breached Spain’s constitution.Around 90 percent of those who cast ballots voted for independence but the poll was poorly monitored and many Catalans opposed to secession boycotted what Madrid branded an illegal plebiscite.The crisis has caused deep uncertainty for businesses in one of the wealthiest regions in the eurozone’s fourth-largest economy.Spain’s stock market shed nearly 1.0 percent ahead of Tuesday’s parliamentary session and a string of companies have already moved their legal headquarters — but not their employees — from Catalonia to other parts of the country.The stand-off has also put significant strain on the euro but the single currency was up after Puigdemont’s announcement and held onto gains in Asian trade on Wednesday, buying $1.1815.However, it was still down two cents from its recent highs seen last month, with uncertainty continuing to dog the unit.Stephen Innes, head of Asia-Pacific trading at OANDA, said that while the euro rose it “gained little traction as this is little more than kicking the can down the road. It’s unlikely we’ve heard the last of this debate despite cooler heads prevailing”.Demands for independence in Catalonia, which has its own language and cultural traditions, date back centuries.But a 2010 move by Spain’s Constitutional Court to water down a statute that gave Catalonia additional powers, combined with a deep economic meltdown in Spain, sparked a surge in support for independence.last_img read more

Church credibility seriously undermined Pope Francis

first_imgPope Francis leads a mass to mark the World Day of Peace in Saint Peter’s Basilica at the Vatican, on 1 January 2019. Reuters File PhotoPope Francis accused US bishops on Thursday of failing to show unity in the face of a sexual abuse crisis, saying internal bickering had to end over a scandal that has shredded the Church’s credibility.In a long and highly unusual letter sent to US bishops as they embarked on a week-long retreat, Francis said the handling of the scandal showed the urgent need for a new approach to management and mindset within the Roman Catholic Church.“God’s faithful people and the Church’s mission continue to suffer greatly as a result of abuses of power and conscience and sexual abuse, and the poor way that they were handled,” the pope wrote, adding that bishops had “concentrated more on pointing fingers than on seeking paths of reconciliation”.Pope Francis has summoned the heads of some 110 national Catholic bishops’ conferences and dozens of experts and leaders of religious orders to the Vatican on 21-24 February for an extraordinary gathering dedicated to the now global crisis.Victims of clergy sexual abuse are hoping that the meeting will finally come up with a clear policy to make bishops themselves accountable for the mishandling of abuse cases.Ahead of that encounter, US bishops gathered on Wednesday near Chicago for seven days of prayer and spiritual reflection.“The Church’s credibility has been seriously undercut and diminished by these sins and crimes, but even more by the efforts made to deny or conceal them,” Francis said.The pope said he was so concerned by the situation that he had hoped to attend the retreat in person, but added that he had been unable to do so “for logistical reasons”. However, he sent his own preacher, Raniero Cantalamessa, to lead proceedings.Past WrongsThe US Church is still reeling from a grand jury report last year that found that 301 priests in the state of Pennsylvania had sexually abused minors over a 70-year period. Other US states have launched investigations of their own.“The hurt caused by these sins and crimes has also deeply affected the communion of bishops, and generated not the sort of healthy and necessary disagreements and tensions found in any living body, but rather division and dispersion,” the pope said.Critics accuse Francis, who became pontiff in 2013, of responding much too slowly to the sex scandals, of failing to empathise with the victims and of blindly believing the word of his fellow clergy.But in 2018 he tried to address past wrongs, publicly admitting he was wrong about a case in Chile and vowing that the Church would never again seek to cover up such wrongdoing.In July, he accepted the resignation of Cardinal Theodore McCarrick, one of the US Church’s most prominent figures, following allegations he had sexually abused a 16-year-old boy, while in October, Cardinal Donald Wuerl, the archbishop of Washington DC, stepped down over his handling of abuse cases.“Combatting the culture of abuse, the loss of credibility, the resulting bewilderment and confusion, and the discrediting of our mission urgently demands of us a renewed and decisive approach to resolving conflicts,” the pope wrote on Thursday.“This requires not only a new approach to management, but also a change in our mindset.”last_img read more

Arms and ammunition seized in Kalyani

first_imgKrishnagar (WB): Several arms and ammunition were recovered from a house during a raid at Atghara in Nadia district, the police said. Acting on an information, police raided the area under Kalyani police station and recovered two firearms and 36 cartridges of various weapons from the house of one Arun Mondal on Monday, Superintendent of Police Nadia Rupesh Kumar said. Mondal was arrested.last_img