Supreme Court restricts online access to information

first_imgSupreme Court restricts online access to information December 15, 2003 Gary Blankenship Senior Editor Regular News Supreme Court restricts online access to information Senior Editor Responding to growing concerns that private and confidential information may be widely distributed through the Internet and other electronic media, Florida Chief Justice Harry Lee Anstead has issued an order setting interim limits on what information can be electronically posted. He also created a committee to draw up final rules.The order establishes a Committee on Privacy and Court Records to begin work on a uniform statewide policy to ensure that sensitive information is filtered out of court records before they are placed in media like the Internet and bulk electronic access systems, such as dial-in services.“Current regulation of confidential information is minimal at best,” Anstead said.“Because it will take time to develop a uniform policy, I am directing that bulk electronic distribution of court records cease temporarily.“ However, I have provided for several exceptions, such as allowing the chief judges of the courts to authorize distribution of documents that have been properly screened and are of significant public interest.”The order tracks recommendations of two separate advisory bodies. An earlier report by the Florida Judicial Management Council had urged that the Court act to protect the public. Earlier this year a legislative group, the Study Committee on Public Records, reached essentially the same conclusion.At the heart of these recommendations is the growing concern that information like Social Security numbers, medical records, and financial disclosures contained in court records can be used to commit crimes such as fraud or identity theft. Some of this information also may be confidential under state or federal law, but no uniform mechanism is now in place to see that it is removed before electronic distribution.In an earlier report, the JMC noted that court clerks follow a variety of policies on making court records public, and most do not post records on the Internet. Those who do have different guidelines about what is or is not made electronically available.“This inconsistency is itself a potential problem, because legal rights of privacy and access normally must be treated the same statewide,” the court said in a press release announcing the administrative order. “One of the more common complaints from Florida residents involves the placement of divorce documents on electronic distribution networks. The JMC noted that these records commonly contain detailed and deeply personal information about the private lives of the two parties and their children, unfounded or speculative claims of wrongdoing, and detailed information about financial assets.Frequently, confidential information is placed in documents with information that is otherwise not confidential.”Other states and the federal court system are also studying the issues, the press release noted.While the new committee is doing its work, the court ordered that no court record as defined in Rule of Judicial Administration 2.051(b)(1) can be posted electronically. Excepted from that order are:• Court records that are defined by state law as “official records.”• A court record may be transmitted electronically to a party or attorney in that case.• A court record may be transmitted to a governmental agency or agent authorized by law, court rule, or court order to have that record.• A court record posted that has been requested individually may be transmitted if the court clerk has manually inspected it to ensure it does not include confidential or exempt information.• A court record that the chief judge has determined to be of significant public interest, provided the court clerk has reviewed it to ensure removal of confidential or exempt information.• Progress dockets that contain basic information about a case, such as parties’ names, scheduled hearings, orders, names and addresses of counsel, provided that no confidential or exempt information is included.• Schedules and court calendars.• Court records on traffic cases.• Appellate court briefs, orders, and opinions.• Public records that have been inspected by the court clerk and which may otherwise be viewed at a public terminal at the clerk’s office, provided confidential or exempt information has been removed.Anstead also ordered that all existing dial-up or Internet access systems to trial court records, including subscription services, be terminated as quickly as possible and in any case no later than January 1.The order also appointed the members of the Committee on Privacy and Court Records. The chair is Jon Mills, director of the University of Florida Institute for Governmental Responsibility and former state House speaker.Other members are:•Tallahassee attorney Kristin Adamson, a member of the Bar’s Family Law Section.• Andrew Z. Adkins III, director, Legal Technology Institute, University of Florida Levin College of Law.• 15th Circuit Chief Judge Edward H. Fine.• Professor A. Michael Froomkin, of the University of Miami School of Law.• Orange County Clerk of Court Lydia Gardner.• Fifth District Court of Appeal Judge Jacqueline R. Griffin.• Supreme Court Clerk Thomas D. Hall.• Daytona Beach attorney Jonathan D. Kaney, Jr.• 11th Circuit Judge Judith L. Kreeger.• Charlotte County Clerk of Court Barbara T. Scott.• First Circuit Chief Judge Kim A. Skievaski.• Bay County Judge Eugene Smiley.• 12th Circuit Court Administrator Walt Smith.• Eighth Circuit Judge Larry G. Turner.Justice R. Fred Lewis will serve as Supreme Court liaison to the committee.The order and press release can be found on the court’s Web site at www.flcourts.org.last_img read more

Scandal rocks FIFA Player of the Year awards as coaches cry foul

first_imgCoaches from Bolivia, Albania, Equatorial Guinea, Dominican Republic, Fiji, Kuwait and Vanuatu have alleged that the 2013 Ballon d’Or votes were rigged, according to Catalan outlet La Xarxa and and Spanish newspaper Mundo Deportivo. Via Danish paper BT and Norway’s Dagbladet (h/t 101 Great Goals), the aforementioned coaches all suggest their original votes were recorded and published differently from what they had initially submitted. Jorvan Vieira, who coaches the Kuwait national team, reportedly told La Xarxa (via BT), “I think there has been any fraud here. I voted for (Zlatan) Ibrahimovic.” That despite FIFA’s official record of the submissions showing that he voted for Lionel Messi as the winner, followed by Neymar and the eventual winner, Cristiano Ronaldo.  The same applies to the coach of the Fijian national team, Juan Carlos Buzzetti. FIFA recorded his vote with Ronaldo in first position ahead of Franck Ribery and Robert Lewandowski. He also insists his votes have been amended, claiming, “I voted for Cristiano, Messi and Ribery. I have in no way voted Lewandowski. He is not on par with the other three.” But the harshest, most colourful of all the criticism came from Albania’s coach, Gianni De Biasi. He didn’t hold back in a statement (NSFW), telling Mundo Deportivo what he thought of the scenario after his first-place vote for Ronaldo apparently changed to one for Zlatan Ibrahimovic.  “I gave five points to Ronaldo, three to Messi and one to Ibrahimovic. I did not give five to Ibrahimovic,” De Biasi said. “This is bullshit and lies.” These allegations are the second within a week which refer to the Ballon d’Or votes being doctored, as Qatar national coach Fahad Al Zarraa previously claimed his president forced him to vote for Ronaldo, as per sportsfan.com.  The showpiece event saw Ronaldo pick up the gong for the second time in his career, staving off competition from Messi and Ribery, who accompanied him on the three-man shortlist. Whilst it would be difficult to deny that Ronaldo deserved the award, these emerging allegations will cast doubts over the validity of the vote, especially after FIFA extended the voting deadline until after Ronaldo’s one-man show in the World Cup playoffs, according to Ian Ladyman of the Daily Mail. The extension only served to raise suspicions that FIFA were pushing for a Ronaldo win after Sepp Blatter’s unsavoury remarks about the Portuguese winger.  The FIFA president claimed back in November that Ronaldo has “more expenses at the hairdresser” than his great rival Messi, per The Guardian. Ronaldo scored a sensational 66 goals in 56 games in 2013, per BBC Sport. He’s started 2014 in excellent fashion too, scoring four times in Real Madrid’s first five games of 2014, per WhoScored.last_img read more

Daniel and Majella ‘thrilled’ to enjoy first night in new Donegal home

first_imgDaniel and Majella O’Donnell have finally been allowed to move back into their home in Kincasslagh following an extensive revamp. There was much excitement last year when the couple volunteered to let celebrity architect Dermot Bannon renovate their coastal home for a special edition of RTE’s Room to Improve. Although the project took much longer than expected, Daniel and Majella have shared their delight with being able to spend their first night back in their own home today.“Dermot has done a fantastic job and we are thrilled,” Daniel told his Facebook followers, sharing a photo to show off his new bright and modern kitchen. Daniel, Dermot and Majella. Photo: Daniel O’Donnell FacebookDaniel revealed last week how the renovation escalated from a small upgrade to a major revamp when Dermot became involved. Fans of Room to Improve will know that Dermot often goes above and beyond the budget limits when his design dreams take hold, but Daniel was less than happy to learn about his pricing.Speaking on Ireland AM last week, Daniel said he’s worried about what footage the episode will show from his exchanges with Dermot:“I’m not sure what’s going to be on TV. I’m kind of worried about because I was like a dog,” Daniel said. “We did have a couple of issues and let’s just say we both got our own way,” Majella said. The couple had hoped to improve just three rooms in the house, but when Dermot came along he put the building through a total transformation.Despite their disagreements, Majella and Daniel said they were happy to eventually follow his directions.“There’s no point in having somebody like Dermot, with the ability, the vision, the know-how and experience and then be telling him what he should do,” Daniel said.Now that the O’Donnells are delighted with the outcome, fans have sent many warm wishes of health and happiness to them in their newly-designed home. Fans are now eagerly awaiting the upcoming season of Room to Improve to peek inside the couple’s contemporary space by the sea.Daniel and Majella ‘thrilled’ to enjoy first night in new Donegal home was last modified: February 6th, 2018 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:daniel o’donnellDermot BannonMajella O’DonnellRoom To ImproveRTElast_img read more

Study reveals new way to target HER2negative metastatic breast cancer

first_imgReviewed by Kate Anderton, B.Sc. (Editor)Sep 20 2018A cytokine signature found in certain kinds of breast cancer cells can not only serve as a diagnostic tool for HER2-negative cancers but also offer an effective treatment target.A research team led by Karolina Palucka, M.D., Ph.D., a professor at The Jackson Laboratory (JAX), has collaborated with researchers at The Baylor Institute for Immunology Research to show that IL1b, a member of the interleukin 1 family of cytokines (proteins released by certain cells of the immune system) drives the inflammation often found in cancer, and appears as an “IL1 signature” in women with HER2-negative metastatic breast cancer.Related StoriesSpecial blood test may predict relapse risk for breast cancer patientsLiving with advanced breast cancerCancer killing capability of lesser-known immune cells identified”We found that IL1b orchestrates tumor-promoting inflammation in breast cancer,” Palucka says, “and its presence corresponds with poor clinical outcomes. We show that it can be effectively targeted in patients using anakinra, a naturally occurring IL1 receptor antagonist.”Anakinra is already widely used to treat autoimmune and autoinflammatory diseases, and is being tested as an adjunct therapy to reduce the inflammation of metastatic cancer, including metastatic colorectal cancer. In the new study, 11 women with advanced metastatic HER2-negative breast cancer received anakinra treatment, and after just two weeks showed reduced gene expression of IL1b and other cytokines and signaling pathways.The patients then received anakinra in combination with standard chemotherapeutics for HER2-negative cancers for a median duration of four months. Some patients reported less pain and increased quality of life during this combination treatment, and three of them are still alive.The team’s report appears as the cover article in the journal Cancer Research, along with a commentary by Charles A. Dinarello, Ph.D., of the University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus, who discovered, cloned and characterized the essential biology of a human “fever molecule,” which was later named Interleukin-1 (IL-1).”The study represents several years of dedicated research on cancer by Palucka and colleagues,” Dinarello writes. “Although there are several advantages of knowing a transcriptional signature, including risk and prognosis, a real benefit is the exploitation of the signature to develop specific, targeted therapies. In the case of patients with cancer with IL-1 signature genes, one could simply block IL1. In fact, this is exactly what the study accomplished.” Source:https://www.jax.org/last_img read more