It was an emotional night for Calabar High School’s coach, Ludlow Barker, after watching his team hold off Ardenne High to win back-to-back Under-19 ISSA National Basketball Championship titles, following a 62-52 overtime win at the G.C. Foster College auditorium on Tuesday evening.Led by a game-high 28 points from MVP Maliek McCarthy and 13 points from Jevaun Faulder, Calabar High shrugged off a fourth-quarter surge from the Basil Barrett-coached Ardenne before going on to dominate overtime 12-4.Justin Rhoden was Ardenne’s top scorer with 15 points.However, in his post-match interview, Calabar High’s coach, Barker, could not restrain the tears as emotions overwhelmed him while he piled praises on his players for their sacrifice on the road to winning back-to-back Southern Conference and national championship honours.”I know these players,” said a tearful Barker. “When they commit to do the work, they come up trumps. I believe in them; they believe in me. I just love these players. I love coaching the school because they have heart and soul.TOP COACH, PLAYERS”They (players) say they have a top coach, but I say I have top players – the greatest players in the world – and I’d never exchange them for anything,” he stated.”Winning back-to-back South Conference titles was going to be tough, but winning back-to-back all-island was going to be harder. We had to have a lot of self-discipline and play good defence.”After an evenly contested first quarter (12-12), Calabar High captured the second period 11-7 to lead 23-19 at half-time. They continued to hold the ascendancy after taking the third quarter 17-14, but in the final quarter, Ardenne upped their game a couple of notches and Calabar High could find no answer as the Basil Barrett-coached team were hitting shots from all angles and range. In the final analysis, Ardenne High won the period 15-8 to be tied 48-48 at the final whistle.However, in overtime, Ardenne did not know what hit them as Calabar High came out firing and easily captured the period 12-4 for a convincing win.”My team held its nerve when it went to overtime. They were still feeling good about themselves even though they gave up the lead,” Barker admitted. “We didn’t lose concentration. We stuck to the game plan and we supported each other, and defensively, we did an excellent job. So to repeat at this level is quite a joy.”In the junior final, St George’s College avenged their Southern Conference final defeat to St Catherine High with a 54-47 win.Jordon Gilles with 17 points and Nathan Reid (10 points) were the top scorers for St George’s. Shevran Williams was St Catherine’s top scorer with 13 points.
South Africa is to get its second stock exchange, after the Johannesburg Stock Exchange has dominated trading in the country for more than a century. ZAR X has been given a licence to operate, and it plans to be up and running in September.ZAR X investors will be able to monitor the performances of their shares on the company’s website (Image: Pixabay, CC0 Public Domain)Priya PitamberSouth Africa is to get its first new stock exchange in more than a century. ZAR X Stock Exchange announced yesterday that the Financial Services Board (FSB) had granted it conditional approval for a stock exchange licence.The licence had been granted under the Financial Markets Act and the conditional approval was granted subject to certain suspensive conditions being met to the satisfaction of the Registrar of Securities Services, said ZAR X.The Johannesburg Stock Exchange has been South Africa’s only bourse. It was founded in Johannesburg in 1887, during the Witwatersrand gold rush. It is Africa’s biggest and most liquid stock market.ZAR X intends to start operating in September, and aims to enable more lower- income investors to trade shares. According to the company, ZAR X will help “you to grow your financial potential through investment and saving”.ZAR X, the company explains, is a platform that will let “everyday South Africans transact shares quickly, cheaply and conveniently, even if they have never formally invested money or opened a bank account before. The platform is designed to empower those who don’t have skills or experience in investing, to easily and safely build a brighter financial future for themselves and their families.”It will also give business enterprises a flexible, transparent and affordable way to list their restricted or limited share offerings, so that ordinary South Africans can take advantage of them. The idea will be to give South Africans access to restricted share listings, to help them secure investment opportunities in order to build financial security.Bloomberg news agency reports that ZAR X plans to run three sections: a main board for company listings, an over-the-counter stock-trading business, and an investment products market.“A more flexible and practical listings process will ensure greater simplicity and less complexity for companies making use of the ZAR X Stock Exchange,” chief executive officer Etienne Nel said in a company statement. “We also make investing simpler and affordable for the public, especially the lower income groups.”In a Moneyweb report, Nel said a big cost advantage for investors was that there would be no custody fees. These are fees paid by investors towards brokers who execute trades on their behalf. Although there will be brokers on the ZAR X, investors will not have to execute trades directly through them. Instead they will be able to log their trades via a call-centre, online, or through a mobile app, the online financial news portal reports.ZAR X will be based in Bryanston, Johannesburg, although there will not be a central market itself. Investors will be able to monitor the performances of their shares on the company’s website.It will be in good company. The JSE rates among the top 20 exchanges in the world by market capitalisation.The JSE is regarded as a mature, efficient, secure market with world-class regulation, trading, clearing, settlement assurance and risk management. It has harmonised its listing requirements, disclosure and continuing obligations with those of the London Stock Exchange and offers superb investor protection.The World Economic Forum’s 2015-16 Global Competitiveness Index rates South Africa first in the world – out of 140 countries – for financing through the local equity market, and second for the regulation of securities exchanges.Would you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See Using Brand South Africa material.
View comments Trump strips away truth with hunky topless photo tweet At the same time, the league has also moved the opening of its next season to December to accommodate Gilas in the first three home-and-away series of the WCQ as the PBA has now made it sure that Reyes can have the time with his players.Commissioner Chito Narvasa made this announcement in a teleconference with a small group of Filipino media covering the 39th Jones Cup Invitational here and it ends weeks of speculation as to who will represent the Philippines in the Lebanon showcase slated Aug. 8 to 20.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSWin or don’t eat: the Philippines’ poverty-driven, world-beating pool stars“It was agreed upon by the board (of governors) that the PBA should participate,” Narvasa said. “The PBA, its coaches in particular, were just informed of the schedule (of the Gilas events), which is important to all of them.”Another thing which the PBA will do is tweak the schedule of the Governors’ Cup, which is set to open on Wednesday, so as not to disrupt the teams that will lend its stars to the team that will play in Beirut. Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ TAIPEI—The PBA has just gone “all in” for Gilas Pilipinas.In order to help the National team program field the best team possible, the PBA has given the green light to coach Chot Reyes to tap its multimillionaire veterans for the coming Fiba Asia even if the event is not part of the hectic World Cup Qualifying series.ADVERTISEMENT LATEST STORIES Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ Hotel says PH coach apologized for ‘kikiam for breakfast’ claim Robredo should’ve resigned as drug czar after lack of trust issue – Panelo Church, environmentalists ask DENR to revoke ECC of Quezon province coal plant FEU Auditorium’s 70th year celebrated with FEU Theater Guild’s ‘The Dreamweavers’ Magsayo world title bid put on hold Gilas Cadet members who are now playing in the Jones Cup will also represent the country in the Southeast Asian Games from Aug. 20 in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, practically assuring the likes of June Mar Fajardo, Terrence Romeo and Calvin Abueva will play in Lebanon.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. MOST READ Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games National Coffee Research Development and Extension Center brews the 2nd National Coffee Education Congress
Does your local Association or Permit run on the strength and hard work of volunteers and always need more assistance in terms of equipment? This information may just strike a chord with you. On 27 January 2005, the Minister for Family and Community Services Kay Patterson announced funding for the Volunteer Small Equipment Grants 2005 to help Australia’s volunteers to carry on with their vital work. Organisations can apply for grants of up to $3000 to buy small equipment items that support the work of volunteers by making it easier, safer and/or more enjoyable. Under the Volunteer Small Equipment Grants 2005, priority will be given to organisations that: * have relatively small operating budgets with limited funding sources and a relatively high volunteer to staff ratio; * demonstrate that their requested equipment will provide maximum benefit to all their volunteers by making their work safer, easier and/or more enjoyable; * demonstrate that the organisation’s work supports families and/or strengthens their local communities; * have requested equipment that will have maximum benefit in the local community for a small outlay; and * have not received funding under VSEG 2003 or VSEG 2004. Organisations are encouraged to complete and submit their application form online. For more information or the online application form, simply use the following link to visit the Australian Government website. For further information or to request an application form be posted to you, please phone the toll free Volunteer Small Equipment Grants 2005 Hotline on 1800 153 477. Organisations with special needs may contact the department on TTY 1800 055 001. Applications close at 5pm EDST Friday 4 March 2005. It is important to note that online applications received and postal applications post-marked after this date will not be included in the assessment process. Before completing the application form, please ensure that you have read the guidelines and that you are familiar with the purpose of the Volunteer Small Equipment Grants 2005. GRANTS OPPORTUNITY FOR TOUCH VOLUNTEERS
About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Solskjaer confident getting Man Utd players to play for himby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester United caretaker boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is confident getting the players to play for him.Solskjaer says he’s done it all as a player and manager.He told MUTV: “I’ve had 300-400 games as a first-team manager. I’m confident. I’ve won the league, I’ve won cups, I’ve been relegated.”It’s about man management. It’s about managing players, staff and it’s about getting the best out of everyone.”The boss [Sir Alex Ferguson] will always be the best at that. I get my managerial style from him. He’s been the biggest influence but then again we’re different. I’m a different personality.”I like to speak to people, I like to engange with people, I want to see people express themselves. That makes me happy.”On assistant manager Mike Phelan, he added: “That (appointing him) was the first thing I thought about. I’m young, Kieran and Michael are young.”I rang him and he was at a coaching course in Burnley when I rang him. He’s an incredible calming influence. His football knowledge is really really good.”
About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Tottenham lose Hugo Lloris before Leicester kickoffby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveTottenham lost Hugo Lloris before kickoff against Leicester City.He was forced to rush back to London to attend the birth of his child.Lloris was due to start but left the team hotel on Saturday morning to be by his wife’s side in hospital, meaning Spurs have had to make a late selection change.Back-up goalkeeper Paulo Gazzaniga has replaced Lloris between the posts, as the 27-year-old makes just his 13th appearance since joining the club in August 2017.
Crystal Palace plan new January move for Chelsea striker Batshuayiby Paul Vegas18 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveCrystal Palace are planning a new move for Chelsea striker Michy Batshuayi in January.Palace, who are currently sixth in the Premier League, plan to bolster their attack when the transfer window reopens and have made Chelsea striker Batshuayi a leading target, says the Daily Mail.The 26 year-old spent the second half of last season on loan at Selhurst Park and was a popular figure, scoring six times in 11 starts and 13 appearances in total.Palace hope Chelsea could be persuaded to part with Batshuayi due to Tammy Abraham’s emergence, along with the presence of Olivier Giroud in Frank Lampard’s squad, and also the Belgian’s contract situation.Batshuayi signed a five-year deal when he joined Chelsea, who beat Palace to his signature, from Marseille in 2016 for £33m. TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
About the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say Liverpool legend Kuyt: Klopp’s squad better than 2008/09by Freddie Taylor9 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveLiverpool legend Dirk Kuyt says the current team is better than the 2008-09 squad.Managed by Rafa Benitez, the Reds finished second behind Manchester United that year with a squad featuring Fernando Torres, Steven Gerrard and Javier Mascherano.And Kuyt thinks Jurgen Klopp’s side will go one better this season.”We were very close to success,” Kuyt told Liverpool’s official website of the 2008-09 squad, “we just missed a small detail to go one step further.”With the likes of Stevie [Gerrard] and Jamie Carragher, Mascherano, Torres and other very good players, we just missed a little something.”If you see the build-up of the team of Klopp, you see it progressing every time and it looks like it’s now coming to success also in the Premier League. We were a particular team like that, only we couldn’t go one step further at that time.”Hopefully this team will do it because, in my opinion, this team now on the pitch is even better than ours.”
When you’re undefeated and dominating the competition like No. 1 Kentucky is, you’re bound to inspire passionate fans to drum up unique ways to express their love and appreciation. What better way for two fans to show their devotion to UK basketball than with a little Bluegrass tribute?That’s what the Jenkins twins decided to do. They recorded a musical ode to their beloved Wildcats, complete with shout outs of every key player, and jokes about Roy Williams, Rick Pitino and Bill Self drinking vodka. The chorus of the song features the line “We’re going to ‘Nap town on this Big Blue Train.” It’s a reference to Indianapolis, or ‘Nap Town, where the 2015 Final Four will be held.All in all, it’s entertaining in a quirky and hilarious way. [H/T : @KySportsRadio ]
Twitter Funk and soul legend Sly Stone is getting the documentary treatment thanks to a Vancouver production company. Vancouver film production company Network Entertainment has acquired exclusive rights and started filming a documentary on pop-funk-rock star Sylvester Stewart better known as Sly Stone.In his early life, Sly Stone was identified as a musical prodigy, mastering guitar, bass, drums and keyboards by the age of 11. He joined a number of bands in high school and later worked as a DJ but is most famous for his work as frontman for Sly and the Family Stone. Advertisement Login/Register With: Advertisement Facebook LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment