Gallery: Cass Bell, MMA fighter by day and coach by night, announces next fight not long after returning from youth wrestling tourney

first_imgCass Bell (4-0-0), Humboldt County’s own professional MMA fighter, announced he will see the octagon again on Dec. 20.For the first time in his professional career, Bell will be fighting in a venue other than the SAP Center.Bell will fight in Honolulu, Hawaii, at a “Salute the Troops Show” put on by Bellator and the United Service Organizations (USO).Bell’s opponent for what will be his fifth professional fight has not yet been announced. Bell most recently beat Isaiah Rocha via …last_img

South Africa to get second stock exchange: ZAR X

first_imgSouth Africa is to get its second stock exchange, after the Johannesburg Stock Exchange has dominated trading in the country for more than a century. ZAR X has been given a licence to operate, and it plans to be up and running in September.ZAR X investors will be able to monitor the performances of their shares on the company’s website (Image: Pixabay, CC0 Public Domain)Priya PitamberSouth Africa is to get its first new stock exchange in more than a century. ZAR X Stock Exchange announced yesterday that the Financial Services Board (FSB) had granted it conditional approval for a stock exchange licence.The licence had been granted under the Financial Markets Act and the conditional approval was granted subject to certain suspensive conditions being met to the satisfaction of the Registrar of Securities Services, said ZAR X.The Johannesburg Stock Exchange has been South Africa’s only bourse. It was founded in Johannesburg in 1887, during the Witwatersrand gold rush. It is Africa’s biggest and most liquid stock market.ZAR X intends to start operating in September, and aims to enable more lower- income investors to trade shares. According to the company, ZAR X will help “you to grow your financial potential through investment and saving”.ZAR X, the company explains, is a platform that will let “everyday South Africans transact shares quickly, cheaply and conveniently, even if they have never formally invested money or opened a bank account before. The platform is designed to empower those who don’t have skills or experience in investing, to easily and safely build a brighter financial future for themselves and their families.”It will also give business enterprises a flexible, transparent and affordable way to list their restricted or limited share offerings, so that ordinary South Africans can take advantage of them. The idea will be to give South Africans access to restricted share listings, to help them secure investment opportunities in order to build financial security.Bloomberg news agency reports that ZAR X plans to run three sections: a main board for company listings, an over-the-counter stock-trading business, and an investment products market.“A more flexible and practical listings process will ensure greater simplicity and less complexity for companies making use of the ZAR X Stock Exchange,” chief executive officer Etienne Nel said in a company statement. “We also make investing simpler and affordable for the public, especially the lower income groups.”In a Moneyweb report, Nel said a big cost advantage for investors was that there would be no custody fees. These are fees paid by investors towards brokers who execute trades on their behalf. Although there will be brokers on the ZAR X, investors will not have to execute trades directly through them. Instead they will be able to log their trades via a call-centre, online, or through a mobile app, the online financial news portal reports.ZAR X will be based in Bryanston, Johannesburg, although there will not be a central market itself. Investors will be able to monitor the performances of their shares on the company’s website.It will be in good company. The JSE rates among the top 20 exchanges in the world by market capitalisation.The JSE is regarded as a mature, efficient, secure market with world-class regulation, trading, clearing, settlement assurance and risk management. It has harmonised its listing requirements, disclosure and continuing obligations with those of the London Stock Exchange and offers superb investor protection.The World Economic Forum’s 2015-16 Global Competitiveness Index rates South Africa first in the world – out of 140 countries – for financing through the local equity market, and second for the regulation of securities exchanges.Would you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See Using Brand South Africa material.last_img read more

Clover cover crop helping with weed control (so far)

first_imgShare Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest After the trees are planted in the spring, a major source of summer labor on my family’s Christmas tree farm is weed control.Weeds can rob young trees of exposure to sunlight, moisture and nutrients. The first year of planting trees on the farm (many years ago) we did not emphasize weed control and lost nearly the entire crop.Since then my dad, brothers and I have spent countless hot, buggy, summer hours mowing between trees. This is most important in the youngest trees, which are also the easiest to mow off while riding on a mower. Imagine looking for an 8-inch tall tree in 8-foot tall weeds. Mowing takes considerable time and fuel and can also cause significant damage to larger trees by breaking branches and scarring the trunks. We do some spraying, which helps, but there are drawbacks and limits with that weed control method as well.As an experiment, we are trying a Dutch white clover cover crop planted ahead of tree planting. We have been told the Dutch white clover’s short stature and aggressive natureMowing between the trees is time consuming, costly and can lead to damaged or mowed-off trees. This is the first mowing of 2016 and the weeds are towering over the young seedings.This will likely need to be mowed 2-3 more times this year.smother weeds while allowing even the smallest trees exposure to the sun. The thick clover also holds in moisture, keeps the soil cooler and fixes nitrogen, all of which can benefit the trees.We seeded the clover in spring of 2015 for both the 2015 and 2016 tree crops. In the first year (last year) the clover got established, but the weeds still required regular mowing. This year, though, the clover seems to have really filled in and looks to be doing what it is supposed to do. So far, about the only plants competing with the clover are the dandelions, which are not a huge issue around the trees.The clover has the potential to save tremendous time and money if the clover eliminates the need for majority of the mowing and spraying. It could also really improve the quality and survival rate of the tree crop. I am very interested to see how the weed control holds up through the rest of the growing season and in coming years.last_img read more

Encounter under way in Pulwama’s Tral

first_imgThe Jammu and Kashmir police on Monday evening said it has established contact with hiding militants in Pulwama’s Tral, triggering an encounter.“An exchange of fire has started in Awanipora’s Tral area. The security forces are on the job,” said a Srinagar-based police spokesperson. Initial reports suggest the gunfight started as a joint team of Army’s 42 Rashtriya Rifles, CRPF’s 180 Battalion and the police’s special operation group threw a cordon around the Mir Mohalla of Tral area.Preliminary reports suggest two to three militants were trapped in the area. “An intermittent fire is going on,” said the police.last_img

Need permanent solution: Pawar

first_imgIf waters from the Almatti dam in north Karnataka had been released on time, people of Kolhapur and Sangli would not have had to endure the the devastating floods, said Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) leader Sharad Pawar on Wednesday, while stressing that a permanent solution to the problem must be found through proper coordination with the neighbouring State.Mr. Pawar was on a tour of the worst-hit talukas in Kolhapur and Sangli district. “There is an urgent need for the Central government to hold talks with both States on this matter. There was no proper communication and coordination between the two governments this time,” he said, speaking in Kolhapur’s Shirol taluk.The NCP chief said the magnitude of the floods was unprecedented and that it was a mistake to take the water level of the 2005 floods as the ‘danger mark’. He urged the government to undertake a massive construction drive of building new and durable houses for the flood-affected population akin to the rehabilitation efforts post the 1993 Latur earthquake. “Thousands of homes and structures have been weakened by the floods, even at a higher altitude. With the onset of summer, these structures will crumble under the severe heat. So, new houses must be built by the State under Central government schemes,” Mr. Pawar said.He pushed for a complete overhauling of village infrastructure in terms of roads, water supply, electricity — all of which had been thrown awry by the deluge.Expressing concern for farm labourers, The NCP chief urged the government to ensure that they received work through employment guarantee schemes. He also reiterated on the need for a complete loan waiver, as the two districts are the most important sugar-producing regions in the State.“The factories will have to decide what to do with the destroyed sugarcane crop. They will also have to arrange to pay for seedlings as the farmers will have to plant a fresh crop,” he said.“We urge the State to grant a complete loan waiver for farmers for the present fiscal. We demand that a fresh crop loan be granted so that agriculturists can undertake cultivation in the affected areas,” he said, adding that the condition of the flood-affected people is taluks like Shirol was pitiable despite the large-scale relief efforts.Mr. Pawar said that as the deluge had hit everyone — from farmer to the small trader — loans must be waived off for all of them.He also rebuked the governement and administration for failing to fulfill its task of distributing flood aid. “A lot of aid is being sent by individuals, outfits, trusts, political parties from all over the State. But it appears that this help is not reaching the flood-affected people. In some instances, relief trucks were being stopped and the aid was being siphoned off,” Mr. Pawar said.Saying that the floods were not an occasion for playing politics, the NCP chief took potshots at the ministers and leaders of the BJP government, saying that it was deplorable that elected representatives of the government were holding ‘token 15-minute meetings’ in flood-hit areas.last_img read more

Isner, Harrison advance to BB&T Atlanta Open final

first_imgFEU Auditorium’s 70th year celebrated with FEU Theater Guild’s ‘The Dreamweavers’ Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ MOST READ Church, environmentalists ask DENR to revoke ECC of Quezon province coal plant Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Harrison beat fifth-seeded Kyle Edmund of England 6-7 (5), 6-3, 6-4. Harrison won the Memphis Open in February for his first career title. Edmund beat top-seeded Jack Sock on Friday night.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games FILE PHOTO – John Isner of the US returns to Croatia’s Marin Cilic during their men’s singles first round tennis match at the ATP Aegon Championships tennis tournament at Queen’s Club in west London on June 20, 2017. / AFP PHOTO / GLYN KIRKATLANTA — Second-seeded John Isner beat third-seeded Gilles Muller of Luxembourg 6-4, 6-2 on Saturday to reach the BB&T Atlanta Open final for the fifth straight year and the seventh time in eight years.Isner lost to Nick Kyrgios last year at Atlantic Station after winning the hard-court event three straight years. The 6-foot-10 former University of Georgia star will face fourth-seeded Ryan Harrison in an all-American final.ADVERTISEMENT Trump strips away truth with hunky topless photo tweet Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ “It was a very good match. Absolutely nothing to complain about today,” Isner said. “On and off the court in pretty quick fashion and I certainly will be ready to go tomorrow. I feel great physically, maybe the best I have felt in quite some time. More importantly than that, I am pretty confident as well.”The 32-year-old Isner won the Hall of Fame Open last week in Newport, Rhode Island, for his 11th career title — all at the ATP World Tour 250 level. He has won seven consecutive tour matches and held for 69 straight service games.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSWin or don’t eat: the Philippines’ poverty-driven, world-beating pool starsMuller reached the Wimbledon quarterfinals this month.“He made it very tough for me today,” Miller said. “I don’t feel like I played a bad match. I maybe didn’t serve well enough today, but it’s also because of him. He put a lot of pressure on me. It was very tough out there today. All credit to him. He played a great match.” LATEST STORIES Robredo should’ve resigned as drug czar after lack of trust issue – Panelo DILG, PNP back suspension of classes during SEA Games View comments Usain Bolt is down to his last, blazing curtain call National Coffee Research Development and Extension Center brews the 2nd National Coffee Education Congresslast_img read more

Cignal sinks Marinerong Pilipino, punches D-League Finals ticket

first_imgCelebrity chef Gary Rhodes dies at 59 with wife by his side Cignal now awaits the winner of the Flying V-CEU series for its date in the best-of-three Finals.Robbie Herndon paced Marinerong Pilipino in the losing effort with 17 points and five rebounds, while Jeff Javillonar also got 17 markers and four boards.The Scores:CIGNAL HD 87 – Jose 24, Raymundo 18, Villarias 16, Uyloan 15, Bringas 8, Perkins 4, Cahilig 2, Apinan 0, Arboleda 0, Belencion 0, Sara 0, Sumalinog 0.MARINERONG PILIPINO 64 – Herndon 17, Javillonar 17, Javelona 7, Subido 7, Isip 6, Alabanza 2, Iñigo 2, Lopez 2, Publico 2, Sargent 2, Gabriel 0, Gumaru 0, Marata 0, Moralde 0.ADVERTISEMENT NGCP on security risk: Chinese just technical advisers Quarters: 22-14, 39-31, 59-48, 87-64.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next PH netball squad gets bamboozled by Thailand DILG, PNP back suspension of classes during SEA Games MOST READ View comments Raymar Jose. PBA IMAGESRaymar Jose could not be denied as he steered Cignal HD to a return trip to the championship round with an 87-64 win over Marinerong Pilipino in Game 2 of their 2017 PBA D-League Foundation Cup semifinals series Tuesday at Ynares Sports Arena in Pasig.The SEA Games-bound forward made the most of his time for the Hawkeyes, pouring 24 points and 11 rebounds off the bench to aid his side’s quest for back-to-back titles.ADVERTISEMENT Robredo should’ve resigned as drug czar after lack of trust issue – Panelocenter_img Trump signs bills in support of Hong Kong protesters Pamboy Raymundo shot 4-of-7 from rainbow country to wound up with 18 markers, four assists, and three rebounds, Byron Villarias fired 16 points built on three treys, and Jonathan Uyloan dropped 15 markers on a 4-of-8 shooting from beyond the arc as Cignal’s three-point shooting was on point all game long to keep the order despite rallies from Marinero.“We’re happy that we made it to the Finals,” said coach Boyet Fernandez. “It was a tough conference for us. We played seven straight in three weeks, but we’re here and hopefully, we’ll finish it with a championship.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSBoxers Pacquiao, Petecio torchbearers for SEA Games openingDespite Marinero’s best efforts, it could not break through the eight-point barrier in the second half as the troika of Raymundo, Villarias, and Uyloan all connected from downtown, with the team shooting 11-of-31 from three. That allowed the Hawkeyes to gain a lead as high as 24, 84-60, courtesy of Jose’s freebies in the final 2:19.“It’s about time that we made our three points. We really practiced hard on that. It just came out in this game and I’m really thankful to my players because coach Koy (Banal)’s adjustments were on the spot, but the kick out passes were there and I told them that if they’re open, they should take it and I’m happy that they made their shots,” said Fernandez. Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. LATEST STORIES Robredo should’ve resigned as drug czar after lack of trust issue – Panelo Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games NATO’s aging eye in the sky to get a last overhaullast_img read more