Judicial heads back to Lingfield for Golden Rose defence | Racing News

first_imgHe added: “For all he is eight going on nine, he has not had a hard time of things.“He has run 40 times in his life, which is not a lot for a sprinter of his age, and touch wood he is a very sound horse with no aches and pains. It all contributes to him being in such good form at this stage of his life.” – Advertisement – Judicial returned with a fine effort to finish second in the Palace House Stakes back in June, before adding the Chipchase Stakes at Newcastle on his next start and then also winning the Queensferry Stakes at Chester in August.He has not run since finishing fourth at York in September. But Steve Brown, husband and assistant to Camacho, revealed this weekend’s feature race has been the long-term aim.He said: “Judicial has had a nice preparation for this. The ground at the back-end of the turf season is generally against him, which is why we planned to wait for the Golden Rose.- Advertisement – “I think it looks a stronger race compared to last year, and obviously he will have a penalty to carry for his Group Three win at Newcastle. It will be a tougher test for him, but at the same time we are looking forward to it.“In winning this race last year, he really proved himself over six furlongs, and I think that extra furlong over the last 12 months has really suited him. He has looked a better horse over six furlongs, because he has been able to travel more within himself.”While Judicial is now in his seventh season, Brown feels the fact he has been lightly raced is key to how he is maintaining his form.- Advertisement – Judicial will bid for back-to-back wins in the Betway Golden Rose Stakes at Lingfield.The eight-year-old sprang a 20-1 surprise in the 2019 edition of Saturday’s Listed heat, and trainer Julie Camacho was looking towards All Weather Finals Day with her charge until the April event was cancelled because of the Covid-19 lockdown.- Advertisement –last_img read more

O’Driscoll decides to play on

first_img Press Association Brian O’Driscoll will continue to play for Ireland and Leinster next season after agreeing a new one-year deal with the Irish Rugby Football Union. O’Driscoll’s contract, which was set to expire after the British and Irish Lions tour to Australia this summer, has been extended until the end of June 2014. “I want to thank the IRFU and Leinster for allowing me the time to think about my future and discuss my options with my family,” O’Driscoll said. center_img The decision concludes the debate over O’Driscoll’s future amid intense speculation that he would retire this summer. The 34-year-old hinted strongly during the RBS 6 Nations that this season would be the climax to his decorated career, with his fitness and family commitments having the ultimate say. But the recent appointment of Joe Schmidt to succeed Declan Kidney as Ireland’s new head coach has contributed towards his willingness to play on for a further year. “The support my family and the Irish and Leinster fans have shown me over the past few months, and indeed years, has been phenomenal and I’m now very much looking forward to one more year playing with Ireland and Leinster,” he said. O’Driscoll was a candidate to lead the forthcoming Lions tour and initially led the betting for the post at the start of the Six Nations, only for his form to dip. He was included among the 37 players named by head coach Warren Gatland last month and is a leading contender to make the Test team on what will be his fourth Lions tour. Schmidt, who has worked closely with O’Driscoll at Leinster, has welcomed his decision. “It’s great that Brian has agreed to continue playing. He’s an inspirational player, not only on the pitch, but also on the training ground,” Schmidt said. “He’s played well again this season and other players continue to learn from him.” last_img read more