Riding the Midnight Express With Billy Hayes to Close Early Off-Broadway

first_imgRiding the Midnight Express With Billy Hayes is set to close early on November 30—the off-Broadway show had been scheduled to end its limited engagement on December 28. Directed by Jeffrey Altshuler, the production is playing at the Barrow Street Theatre. View Comments Related Shows First he wrote the best-selling book. Then came the Oscar-winning film. Now, with Riding the Midnight Express, comes a solo show performed by the man who lived it. Billy Hayes recounts his time in a Turkish prison and his harrowing escape. There will be a Q&A between Hayes and the audience following each performance. Riding the Midnight Express Hayes’ autobiographical book, Midnight Express, was released in 1977 and adapted into a film a year later, starring Brad Davis, Randy Quaid and John Hurt. It won the Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay. Riding the Midnight Express previously played a limited engagement at St. Luke’s Theatre earlier this year. Show Closed This production ended its run on Dec. 28, 2014last_img read more

Planning Wave of change in Chatham

first_imgWould you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.last_img

The world went mad in 2003, but property remained calm

first_imgWould you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.last_img

Indonesia’s family resilience bill says housekeeping wife’s duty

first_imgTopics : “[…] I may violate the family resilience law. [When] the husband is at home and the wife is working in Papua then who will take care of the household, huh?” she tweeted.Hahahahah bisa2 aku melanggar UU Ketahanan Keluarga.Suami di rumah, istri kerja di Papua. Yg ngurus rumah tangga siapa hah??? 🤭 https://t.co/8pVjO1jQlU— Ligwina Hananto (@mrshananto) February 19, 2020Meanwhile, Indonesia Solidarity Party (PSI) executive Tsamara Amany tweeted her criticism through her account @TsamaraDKI on Wednesday, implying that it was not the government’s job to interfere in the private lives of couples.“The state is trying to control the households of its citizens. Now, the role of husbands and wives is intended to be arranged according to certain perspectives in law! There is no definite responsibility of a husband or wife. The duties of the two depend on their own agreement – not the country’s regulation,” she said.Negara mencoba ingin mengatur rumah tangga warga negara. Peran suami-istri kini hendak diatur menurut perspektif tertentu dalam perundangan! Tak ada kewajiban suami atau istri secara pasti. Kewajiban keduanya tergantung kesepakatan. Bukan aturan negara.https://t.co/Qdc8OpOgs9— Tsamara Amany (@TsamaraDKI) February 19, 2020The family resilience bill was initiated by five politicians from several factions in the House. Three of them are women.They are Ledia Hanifa and Netty Prasetiyana, both from the Islam-based Prosperous Justice Party (PKS), Endang Maria Astuti from the Golkar Party, Sodik Mudjahid from the Gerindra Party and Ali Taher from the National Mandate Party (PAN). Many Indonesians would agree that traditional households – which typically assign domestic roles based on gender, with the husband as the breadwinner and the wife in charge of household chores and children – should be a thing of the past.However, a draft bill on so-called family resilience, which has been floated at the House of Representatives, apparently wants to challenge the idea by bringing back the traditional way of managing households.Article 25 of the draft bill, a copy of which was obtained by The Jakarta Post, stipulates that husband and wives “are responsible for performing their individual roles in accordance with religious norms, social ethics and the prevailing laws”.center_img The article stipulates that only the husband has the obligation to be the breadwinner and to fulfill the family’s welfare and household needs, as well as to protect himself and the family from “mistreatment, exploitation and sexual deviation”.Point 3 of the article stipulates that housewives “are responsible for managing household affairs as best as possible” and to maintain the family’s unity, as well as to fulfill the rights and treat their husband and children well based on, among other factors, religious norms.The bill, one of the 50 bills listed as priority bills in the 2020 National Legislation Program (Prolegnas), has received criticism from the public, with many women calling it patriarchal in nature. Financial planner Ligwina Hananto criticized the bill through a post on her Twitter account @mrshananto.last_img read more

First Arab mission to Mars designed to inspire youth

first_imgThe first Arab space mission to Mars, armed with probes to study the Red Planet’s atmosphere, is designed to inspire the region’s youth and pave the way for scientific breakthroughs, officials said Tuesday.The unmanned probe Al-Amal — Hope in Arabic — is to blast off from a Japanese space centre on July 15, with preparations now in their final stages.The project is the next giant step for the United Arab Emirates, whose colossal skyscrapers and mega-projects have put it on the world map. Narrow window Sarah al-Amiri, the mission’s deputy project manager, said it was imperative that the project have a long-term scientific impact.”It is not a short-lived mission, but rather one that continues throughout the years and produces valuable scientific findings — be it by researchers in the UAE or globally,” she told AFP. She said that the probe will provide a comprehensive image of the weather dynamics in Mars’ atmosphere with the use of three scientific instruments.  The first is an infrared spectrometer to measure the planet’s lower atmosphere and analyze the temperature structure. The second, a high-resolution imager that will provide information about the ozone; and a third, an ultraviolet spectrometer to measure oxygen and hydrogen levels from a distance of up to 43,000 kilometers from the surface.The three tools will allow researchers to observe the Red Planet “at all times of the day and observe all of Mars during those different times”, Amiri said. “Something we want to better understand, and that’s important for planetary dynamics overall, is the reasons for the loss of the atmosphere and if the weather system on Mars actually has an impact on loss of hydrogen and oxygen,” she said, referring to the two components that make up water.Sharaf said that fuelling of the probe is to begin next week.It is scheduled to launch on July 15 from Japan’s Tanegashima Space Centre and return to Earth in February 2021, depending on many variables including the weather.”If we miss the launch opportunity, which is between mid-July and early August, then we’d have to wait for two years for another window,” Sharaf said.But hopes are high that the mission will take place as scheduled, and not be derailed by the coronavirus pandemic.In a new sign of warming ties between Israel and Gulf Arab nations, the Jewish state Tuesday wished the UAE success with the mission.We “hope this step will contribute towards deeper cooperation between all countries in the region,” its foreign ministry’s “Israel in the Gulf” Twitter account wrote in Arabic. “Put your differences aside, focus on building the region, you have a rich history and you can do much more.” The UAE sent its first astronaut into space last year and is also planning to build a “Science City” to replicate conditions on Mars, where it hopes to build a human settlement by 2117.Omran Sharaf, the mission’s project manager, said that apart from the ambitious scientific goals, the mission was designed to hark back to the region’s golden age of cultural and scientific achievements.”The UAE wanted to send a strong message to the Arab youth and to remind them of the past, that we used to be generators of knowledge,” he told AFP.”People of different backgrounds and religion coexisted and shared a similar identity,” he said of the Arab world, where many countries are today wracked by sectarian conflicts and economic crises. Topics :last_img read more

Sokratis Papastathopoulos apologises to Arsenal fans after error in Watford draw

first_imgAdvertisement The Gunners have not kept a clean sheet since the first game of the season when they beat Newcastle 1-0 at St James’ Park and are now without a win in three matches.Only four teams have conceded more goals than Arsenal so far this campaign as Unai Emery looks to improve their leaky defence.After the calamitous displays of Sokratis and Luiz at Vicarage Road, Arsenal fans are looking for the return of a number of injured defenders.There is positive news about all four currently sidelined defenders at the Emirates, with Kieran Tierney, Hector Bellerin, Rob Holding and Konstantinos Mavropanos all ‘back in full training’ according to the official Arsenal website.They will all be pushing for a return to first team action when Arsenal travel to Frankfurt for a Europa League tie on Thursday ahead of a home game against Aston Villa in the Premier League on Sunday.MORE: Unai Emery bemoans Arsenal’s physical frailty in 2-2 draw with WatfordMORE: Arsenal were ‘like a semi-professional team’ in draw with Watford, says Graeme Souness Sokratis Papastathopoulos apologises to Arsenal fans after error in Watford draw Phil HaighSunday 15 Sep 2019 11:09 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link157Shares Sokratis Papastathopoulos was at fault for Watford’s first goal (Picture: Getty Images)Sokratis Papastathopoulos has sent an apology to Arsenal fans after his mistake led to Watford’s first goal in the 2-2 draw at Vicarage Road on Sunday afternoon.The centre-back was at fault in the second half when his misplaced pass was intercepted by Gerard Deulofeu who diverted it into the path of Tom Cleverley.The former Manchester United midfielder slotted home past Bernd Leno to make the score 2-1, after Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang goals had given Arsenal a seemingly comfortable lead in the first half.Watford went on to equalise from the spot through Roberto Pereyra after the Argentinian was tripped in the box by Sokratis’ central defensive partner David Luiz.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENTHowever, the Greek feels that tossing away a two-goal advantage was down to him and has taken responsibility for it on Twitter.Sokratis tweeted: ‘Today’s result is not good for us. I feel responsible for this result, so I would like to apologise to all of you. I don’t like to hide, and I will keep working hard in order to achieve our goals.’Today’s result is not good for us. I feel responsible for this result, so I would like to apologise to all of you. I don’t like to hide, and I will keep working hard in order to achieve our goals. pic.twitter.com/to7IOViTcS— Sokratis Papastathopoulos (@SokratisPapa5) September 15, 2019 Advertisement Commentlast_img read more

Subsea 7 Updates Board Member Roles

first_imgSubsea 7 has updated its board responsibilities following the changes to board membership approved at the company’s AGM held on April 17, 2017.Namely, Allen Stevens has been appointed senior independent director and will serve as chairman of the corporate governance and Nomination Committee. Appointed a non-executive independent director from January 2011. Prior to the merger of Acergy S.A. and Subsea 7 Inc. in January 2011 Stevens was independent director of Subsea 7 Inc. from December 2005.David Mullen will serve as a member of the Corporate Governance and Nomination Committee. Mullen has served as non-executive director of Siem Offshore Inc. from 2006 to 2016.Niels Kirk will serve as a member of the Compensation Committee. Kirk worked at Citigroup/Citicorp for over 25 years where his most recent appointment was chairman & managing director of Energy & Natural Resources in Europe, the Middle East and Africa from 2011 until 2018.All other responsibilities are unchanged, Subsea 7 said on Tuesday.last_img read more

P6.8-B venture to improve Bacolod water?

first_imgBACOLOD City – The Bacolod City Water District (Baciwa) and PrimeWater Infrastructure Corp. signed a joint venture agreement to manage and operate the water district for 25 years. “I don’t know how we will live with this in the next 25 years. I hope that they could deliver. He said signing an agreement with PrimeWater is “practical, necessary and beneficial” for Bacolod City. “Baciwa has no financial capacity to fund an expansion project that would answer the need for more water supply,” Dilag pointed out. Sabater, for his part, said the project would begin on Nov. 1 and PrimeWater would already be in charge of the daily operation of Baciwa’s water supply system. “We worked for three years for its approval. We sincerely believe in the project. We were one in this,” said the chairman of Baciwa’s board of directors, lawyer Lorendo Dilag. Prime Water has started and submitted its proposal for the Joint Venture Agreement with Baciwa since 2016. (With a report from PNA/PN) After 25 years, the assets put in place during the partnership will be turned over to Baciwa free of charge, Dilag added. Dilag and PrimeWater vice president Romeo Sabater announced the signing of the deal in a recent press conference.center_img “This means the water source, operation, maintenance, distribution, customer service, payment, and collection will be handled by PrimeWater,” he added. According to Dilag, the partnership is expected to bring in P6.3 billion in total investments from the Manila-based utility firm. It will formally start on Nov. 1 this year, following a three-month transition period. Responding to questions on water tariff rates, he said they would be “candid about it.” Meanwhile, Councilor Archie Baribar, chairperson of the city council’s Committee on Energy and Public Utilities, hopes that Baciwa and PrimeWater could deliver their promise to the residents. “There will be tariff increases over the term of the joint venture. Not on November 1, but definitely there will be an increase along the way,” Sabater said. He noted that in the first five years, PrimeWater would pour in P1.6 billion for pipe laying and after that, it would invest P2 billion more for the installation of wells, delivery of more water supply, and employees’ compensation.last_img read more

Former Bulldog Standout Wes McKinney Named HCAC Male Athlete of the Year

first_imgFormer Batesville Bulldog Basketball standout Wes McKinney was named The Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference Male Athlete of the Year.  Wes wrapped up his junior year with The Panthers.McKinney becomes the first Hanover Panther to win the award on the men’s or women’s side. McKinney was also named HCAC Men’s Basketball Player of the Year in February.  He also earned a pair of All-American accolades including second team Academic All-American by the College Sports Information Directors of America (CoSIDA) fourth team All-American selection by D3 Hoops earlier this year.McKinney led Hanover in scoring with 18.7 points per game, as well as leading the conference in rebounding with 8.3 per game.  Wes surpassed the 1,000 point mark during the season.The Panthers finished the 2016-17 campaign with 26-4 record, advancing to its first ever NCAA Tournament “Elite Eight”, winning both the HCAC regular season and tournament titles along with a Top 10 finish in the final 2016-17 D3Hoops.Com National Top 25 Poll at #7.Courtesy of Larry Duke and Tyler Jester from Hanover Athletics.last_img read more

Brookville police confiscate 2.5 pounds of pot, arrest two

first_imgBrookville, in. — Brookville police confiscated 2 ½ pounds of marijuana and arrested two residents following a search warrant service last month.On April 21 Police served the search warrant in the 300 block of N Main Street around 1 p.m. at the residence of Clowe Cheyenne Marie Smith, 19, and John Dakota Mullins, 24. During the operation, police found the marijuana, $2,300 in currency, loaded weapons and drug paraphernalia.Smith and Mullins now face drug possession and dealing charges.last_img