sshepard/iStock(CHICAGO) — A 1-year-old boy was shot in the head and critically injured in Chicago Thursday night, according to police. The little boy was rushed to the hospital, where he was listed in critical condition, said Chicago police spokeswoman Sally Bown. The boy, who was not named, was in a parked car with four other people when, at about 5:30 p.m., a car described by police as a dark, older model sedan pulled up next to them, Bown said. Someone either on foot or from inside that vehicle opened fire at the car, striking the baby, Bown said. No arrests have been made, she added. Shootings and murders are down this year in Chicago compared to the same time period last year, according to the Chicago Police Department. So far this year, the city has seen 134 shootings and 28 slayings, department data show. At this time in 2018, there were 189 shootings and 53 murders, police said.Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
BACOLOD City – The Bacolod City Water District (Baciwa) and PrimeWater Infrastructure Corp. signed a joint venture agreement to manage and operate the water district for 25 years. “I don’t know how we will live with this in the next 25 years. I hope that they could deliver. He said signing an agreement with PrimeWater is “practical, necessary and beneficial” for Bacolod City. “Baciwa has no financial capacity to fund an expansion project that would answer the need for more water supply,” Dilag pointed out. Sabater, for his part, said the project would begin on Nov. 1 and PrimeWater would already be in charge of the daily operation of Baciwa’s water supply system. “We worked for three years for its approval. We sincerely believe in the project. We were one in this,” said the chairman of Baciwa’s board of directors, lawyer Lorendo Dilag. Prime Water has started and submitted its proposal for the Joint Venture Agreement with Baciwa since 2016. (With a report from PNA/PN) After 25 years, the assets put in place during the partnership will be turned over to Baciwa free of charge, Dilag added. Dilag and PrimeWater vice president Romeo Sabater announced the signing of the deal in a recent press conference. “This means the water source, operation, maintenance, distribution, customer service, payment, and collection will be handled by PrimeWater,” he added. According to Dilag, the partnership is expected to bring in P6.3 billion in total investments from the Manila-based utility firm. It will formally start on Nov. 1 this year, following a three-month transition period. Responding to questions on water tariff rates, he said they would be “candid about it.” Meanwhile, Councilor Archie Baribar, chairperson of the city council’s Committee on Energy and Public Utilities, hopes that Baciwa and PrimeWater could deliver their promise to the residents. “There will be tariff increases over the term of the joint venture. Not on November 1, but definitely there will be an increase along the way,” Sabater said. He noted that in the first five years, PrimeWater would pour in P1.6 billion for pipe laying and after that, it would invest P2 billion more for the installation of wells, delivery of more water supply, and employees’ compensation.
Undergraduate Student Government unanimously voted Tuesday to pass a resolution that mandates the university administration to actively investigate the Facebook page USC Hook-Ups and determine what further action is needed to address the negative impacts of the page.The Facebook page was launched on Feb. 11 by anonymous creators, and submission posts are anonymous. The page has over 1,600 likes so far. On the page, the creators urge their users to “Comment with your craziest story, raunchiest hookup, or best one night stand.”The page has inspired 157 posts so far, most of which describe intimate and graphic details of student encounters at parties and events. The explicit nature of the posts has prompted student organizations, such as USG, to call for university interference.Residential senators Maheen Sahoo and Jasmine McAllister worked with the Co-Director of Diversity Affairs and Assistant Director of the Women’s Student Assembly Anh Phan and Jackson Burgess, a sophomore majoring in English and narrative studies, to author the resolution.Sahoo said that Phan approached her with worries about the page and wanted to write a resolution that would call for university intervention.“One of my problems with this page is that the negative material posted is celebrated and rarely contested,” Phan said. “This page contains the most horrific conversations between students and other Facebook users and paints a negative portrait of our university.”The resolution says the derogatory and explicit nature of the posts on the page is detrimental to the image of the university. The page is viewable to any Facebook user, including prospective students, parents, alumni and members of the general public, Sahoo said.“Our reputation as an institution is undoubtedly suffering as a result,” Sahoo said. “To me, making sure that we foster a safe, tolerant and welcoming atmosphere in the USC community, whether in person or online, is of utmost importance.”Because a number of posts on the page allude to users engaging in possible sexual assault, the resolution argues that the page does not support the USC Code of Conduct’s Policy and Procedures on Sexual Misconduct and Sexual Assault.The authors also said possible victims of assault might be traumatized by the public exposure. They said this exposure could be potentially interfering with their healing process.“The page expresses sexist, homophobic and racist sentiments toward, but not limited to, members within the USC community but also other communities at large,” Phan said. “We should not be circulating such content as educated, open-minded individuals.”Student opposition to the USC Hook-Ups Facebook Page has resulted in a Facebook event titled “Report USC Hook-Ups to Facebook.” The event has more than 250 confirmed attendees so far.Zoe Sanchez, a sophomore majoring in industrial and systems engineering, agreed that the page was not representative of the culture on campus and negatively impacts on the school’s image.“People are using this page to post truly demeaning and often untrue stories,” Sanchez said. “It will really reflect badly on the morals and actions of the overall student body.”Some students, however, said the university does not need to play a role in ending the Facebook page.“People have the choice of posting,” said Ian Wilkerson, a sophomore majoring in communication. “A lot of other universities have similar pages. To think sexual activity doesn’t happen in college is crazy.”The resolution calls the administration to investigate the page and limit its negative impacts. The USC Center for Women and Men also urges the administration to ensure that the page will not taint the reputation of the university by encouraging abusive behaviors.“The creation of the page isn’t our school administration’s fault, and we certainly aren’t blaming it by drafting this resolution, but if our administrators care as much we do about ending this page’s propagation of sexism, homophobia and misogyny, they will work with us to appropriately address the problem,” Sahoo said.