Two seizures of newspaper issues by regional governments in past month

first_img News Reporters Without Borders condemns last week’s seizure of all 40,000 copies of Izvestia Kaliningrada, a weekly published in Russia’s western exclave of Kaliningrad. It was the latest example of regional governors abusing their power to silence media that annoy them.“We are disturbed to see this form of censorship used more than once in a short space of time,” Reporters Without Borders said. “By confiscating newspaper issues, local authorities are deliberately suppressing content they find embarrassing, thereby showing that they assume the power to control news and information in their region with the central government’s tacit consent.“We urge the authorities to stop using such methods, which also undermine the media financially, as all the confiscated copies cannot be distributed or sold. The Russian central government must adopt sanctions or else impunity will encourage the spread of this practice.”The entire print run of Izvestia Kaliningrada’s latest issue was seized as it left the printer’s on 29 July by members of the Road Safety Inspection Agency and the Regional Centre for Combating Extremism, where the newspaper’s owner and editor, Oleg Altovsky, was detained for several hours.The head of the Regional Centre for Combating Extremism, Alexander Shelyakov, told the Interfax news agency that he intervened because he had been informed that the issue contained extremist statements. If it turned out that this was not the case, the seized copies would be released for distribution, he added.The issue, which was to have been published on the eve of a visit by President Medvedev, contained an open letter to Medvedev calling for the regional government’s removal on the grounds that several of its members were implicated in corruption. The letter was signed by more than 2,000 local residents, a significant number in this exclave located between Lithuania and Poland.“The letter’s publication was not an act of political opposition, it was the dissemination of a public opinion,” the editor told RFE/RL.There have been other cases of local authorities taking similar action. Ninety per cent of the copies of the business weekly Kommersant Vlast were seized in Saint Petersburg on 4 July on the orders of the Municipal Press Committee. The issue, whose circulation was not blocked in other regions, criticized Saint Petersburg governor Valentina MatviyenkoThe newspaper Moy Rayon was harassed last February after criticizing the same governor. It was suddenly visited by tax inspectors and received a summons from OBEP (a special police unit for economic crimes). Then distribution of the newspaper was blocked following pressure from the regional government. May 21, 2021 Find out more News RSF_en News Receive email alerts Listed as a “foreign agent”, Russia’s most popular independent website risks disappearing RussiaEurope – Central Asia Russian media boss drops the pretence and defends Belarus crackdown to go furthercenter_img News June 2, 2021 Find out more Help by sharing this information Follow the news on Russia Two Russian journalists persecuted for investigating police corruption May 5, 2021 Find out more August 2, 2011 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Two seizures of newspaper issues by regional governments in past month Organisation RussiaEurope – Central Asia last_img read more

Coming home: 900th returns on Friday

first_img Book Nook to reopen Email the author By The Penny Hoarder You Might Like Budget talks begin for PCC The Pike County Commission held the first round of budget hearings on Monday. The good news is that the commission… read more The 900th Maintenance Company of the Alabama National Guard will return to Brundidge Friday after a year on active duty in Afghanistan.The homecoming ceremony is planned for noon at Pike County High School’s Bulldog Stadium and the public is encouraged to attend as the soldiers from the Brundidge and Phenix City areas are officially welcomed home.The homecoming route will be through Luverne along Highway 29 into Troy and then along Veterans Blvd. into downtown Brundidge. Pike County Sheriff’s Office offering community child ID kits Coming home: 900th returns on Friday Plans underway for historic Pike County celebration Penny Hoarder Issues “Urgent” Alert: 6 Companies Are… Troy falls to No. 13 Clemson Sponsored Content Around the WebDoctor: Do This Immediately if You Have Diabetes (Watch)Health VideosIf You Have Ringing Ears Do This Immediately (Ends Tinnitus)Healthier LivingHave an Enlarged Prostate? Urologist Reveals: Do This Immediately (Watch)Healthier LivingWomen Only: Stretch This Muscle to Stop Bladder Leakage (Watch)Healthier LivingRemoving Moles & Skin Tags Has Never Been This EasyEssential HealthBet You’re Pretty Curious About Jaden’s Net Worth Right About Now, HuhBradofoThe content you see here is paid for by the advertiser or content provider whose link you click on, and is recommended to you by Revcontent. As the leading platform for native advertising and content recommendation, Revcontent uses interest based targeting to select content that we think will be of particular interest to you. We encourage you to view your opt out options in Revcontent’s Privacy PolicyWant your content to appear on sites like this?Increase Your Engagement Now!Want to report this publisher’s content as misinformation?Submit a ReportGot it, thanks!Remove Content Link?Please choose a reason below:Fake NewsMisleadingNot InterestedOffensiveRepetitiveSubmitCancel Latest Stories Several local motorcycle clubs with retired military memberships, the Patriot Riders, Faith Riders and Legionnaires, will escort the military convoy through downtown Brundidge.“The 98th Army Band from Fort Rucker will play prior to the soldiers’ arrival and as the soldiers march into the stadium,” Sneed said. “The soldiers’ families and visitors will be seated on the home side of the stadium.“Keepsake roses will be presented to the families of the soldiers as they enter the stadium.”The Rev. Jerry Wilkes, pastor of Mt. Zion Baptist Church, will give the invocation and the program will include six speakers, including officers from the Alabama National Guard and the mayors of Brundidge and Phenix City. The ceremony will be 30 minutes or less in order for the soldiers to be dismissed to be with their families. Dixie Shehane, president of the Brundidge Business Association, said the BBA will have refreshments for the soldiers and their families following the ceremony.“There’s no way that we can adequately show our appreciation to the soldiers for their service and to their families for the sacrifices that they made while their loved ones were deployed,” Shehane said. “‘Thank you,’ just doesn’t seem like enough but we do hope that they all know how much they are appreciated and how proud we are to have them safely home.” The Pike County Chamber of Commerce is asking individuals and businesses along the route to display the American flag, yellow ribbons and welcome home signs. Businesses throughout the county are asked to display welcome home messages on their marques.The downtown Brundidge area will be decorated for the homecoming and people are invited to line the streets to show their appreciation for the service of the 900th and pride in their country.Cindy Sneed, chair of the 900th Maintenance Company’s family readiness group, said the 158 soldiers of the 900th returned to the states early Sunday morning. The 900th is at Camp Shelby, Mississippi and will leave there for home on Friday. Remember America’s heroes on Memorial Day Published 11:00 pm Tuesday, August 9, 2011 Print Article By Jaine Treadwell Skiplast_img read more

Former Everton ballboy Gylfi Sigurdsson relieved to be back at club

first_imgRonald Koeman finally got his man and Swansea the £45m required to replenish Paul Clement’s squad when the Iceland international became the most expensive signing in Everton’s history on a five-year contract. One of the summer’s many arduous transfer sagas resolved in the player’s favour, again, only this time after Sigurdsson had angered Swansea by withdrawing from the pre-season tour on the morning of departure, having played at Barnet the night before, claiming he was not in the right frame of mind to travel. The 27-year-old suggests otherwise.“I thought the clubs were close to agreeing something so there was maybe no point in flying out there just to fly back again the day after,” Sigurdsson explains. “But then that was kind of the story of the summer. They were getting close, and then nothing happened. Maybe in the next couple of days it was supposed to happen, and then nothing happened. It did drag on a long, long time but that’s just the way it is.“Of course it was a difficult decision [not to go on the US tour]. I had a close relationship not just with the team but with the manager. I really respect him. But we all just thought it was that close to being done. I think both clubs, myself and the manager and the team decided for me to stay back.”Missing the US trip cost Sigurdsson support among the Swansea fanbase who voted him their player of the year last season. And the creative force behind their relegation escape admits his protracted move from the Liberty Stadium left him drained.He said: “I’m not going to lie, it was difficult mentally at times. There were some times and some days when I thought this eventually might not go through but thankfully the manager and the club were very patient and managed to finish it off.”Koeman tried to sign Sigurdsson when manager of Southampton and wanted him at Everton last summer. It is another reflection of Koeman’s belief he has signed “one of the key players to bring to Everton” that he refused to consider alternative targets while Swansea attempted to hold out for £50m.The Everton manager said: “They told me [at Southampton] it was impossible and I said, ’OK, I accept it’ but this time I thought, ’OK, maybe now it is possible’. From the beginning what I heard from the board and what I heard from Bill [Kenwright, the Everton chairman], who was so calm, was: ‘I will do the deal but we need to be patient’. And of course I understand it’s business. It’s a big transfer. You don’t do these kind of transfers in two days. Sometimes it takes longer than you like but I was quite comfortable that finally we would do this deal. He has been on my list for a long time.”Sigurdsson has been in Everton’s sights for a long time too. In September 2001 the 11-year-old Sigurdsson was invited to train with the club and be a ballboy for a 5-0 win over West Ham United at Goodison Park. The player’s brother, Olafur, stole his thunder this week by tweeting a photograph of the youngster in an Everton jersey next to the statue of William Ralph “Dixie” Dean. That was how Sigurdsson had planned to announce his eventual arrival. news Share via Email Premier League Read more Gylfi Sigurdsson: tireless perfectionist will be worth the wait for Everton Reuse this content Topics Share on Pinterest When Gylfi Sigurdsson refused to accompany Swansea City on their pre-season tour of the United States last month it was seen as out of character, another example of player power and disloyalty. The truth, according to Everton’s new record signing, is somewhat more prosaic. He sees no cause for regret. Swansea Citycenter_img “The only thing I really remember is throwing the ball to Paolo Di Canio,” he recalls. “But it was a fantastic experience, especially for someone young who watches the Premier League back home in Iceland and then you luckily have the chance to be a ballboy at one of the games and be allowed to train with the team for a few days. That was fantastic. I had a look around the city then. I have another picture of me standing outside the radio tower. That’s the only other thing I remember. I’m going to have to go through my photo album to remember more.”The Iceland international flourished at Swansea, both on loan and over the past three seasons when only Tottenham Hotspur’s Christian Eriksen was involved in more Premier League goals from midfield. It was a different story when Sigurdsson was in the ranks at White Hart Lane, however, where he made 58 league appearances over two seasons but completed only nine of those games.Were his opportunities limited or was he not ready for the step? “Maybe it was a combination of both,” he admits. “What was I? 20, 21, so I’m far from being the same player now that I was back then. But I really did enjoy my time at Tottenham. I’m not going to lie. It was fantastic experience. Of course I could have probably stayed on but I wanted the chance to go back to Swansea and play football again. I wanted to use my time as a professional, because your career is really short.” Share on Messenger Premier League: 10 things to look out for this weekend Share on WhatsApp Everton Share on Twitter Share on LinkedIn Share on Facebook Read morelast_img read more