Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York A Suffolk County jury issued a split verdict in the case of an ex-Suffolk County police sergeant on trial for allegedly stealing from Hispanic drivers that prosecutors said he targeted.Scott Greene was found guilty Friday of petty larceny, official misconduct and grand larceny but was acquitted of more serious hate crimes charges at First District Court in Central Islip.“The verdict is another chilling reminder of a broken relationship between the Suffolk County Police Department and the Latino community,” Juan Cartagena, president and General Counsel, LatinoJustice PRLDEF, said in a statement after the verdict.Prosecutors alleged that the 52-year-old Shirley man targeted Hispanic drivers with out-of-state license plates, pulled them over and told them he was searching their vehicles for contraband when he stole their cash.His defense attorney argued that Greene didn’t target Latinos, although his victims were all Hispanic.Greene was arrested following an undercover sting in January 2014, a month after the county reached a settlement with the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) to resolve a probe into complaints that the police department discriminated against Hispanics.Cartagena reiterated calls for the DOJ to step in, citing the Green case and the recent arrest of James Burke, the former Suffolk police chief accused of beating a suspect and covering it up. Cartagena’s group is suing the department, claiming racial discrimination.Greene faces up to four years in prison when Judge Fernande Comacho sentences him. Greene, who retired a month after his arrest, collects a $68,790 annual pension.
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREUCLA alum Kenny Clark signs four-year contract extension with PackersAs a more diversified scorer, as a defender. And, perhaps most critically, as a leader.“You can see it when you’re around him every day,” Walton said. “You see how the guys react to him. … That comes from being a leader. They look at him and they get confidence from him when he’s playing well. When we need a bucket, they call his number out there to get him the ball.”No, Ingram is not the kind of player who will scream at his teammates or motivate vocally. But Coach Luke Walton says Ingram does not need to become a Russell Westbrook or Draymond Green type of leader for the rest of the Lakers to follow him.“You can definitely be a quiet alpha,” Walton said.The comparison who came to mind for the Lakers coach was his point guard in college at Arizona: Jason Gardner . The Lakers star forward smirked and shook his head before bending over in laughter.“Brandon Ingram’s new movie,” Kyle Kuzma said, “‘Slender Man,’ coming soon.”Kuzma’s shaky cell phone video, shared on social media, then panned to the promotional poster for an upcoming horror film, then back to Ingram and Lonzo Ball, as the young Lakers triumvirate visited a movie theater in Oklahoma City earlier this week.While Ingram’s frame remains lean, and a constant source of amusement for his teammates, the second-year small forward has really filled out this season. “He was the only guy on our team who didn’t talk,” Walton said. “He was the leader of our group there.”Ingram has often spoken up after bad losses, taking accountability for the Lakers’ performances. After the Lakers met as a team amid a nine-game losing streak, no player spoke out as forcefully about their need to listen to each other – and for the coaches to listen to the players – than Ingram.“I’ve seen him get loud at times,” Walton said, “and I think when he does speak up, guys really do listen because it doesn’t happen often.”Ingram is one of several Lakers dealing with injuries. He is listed as questionable to play Friday against Indiana after tweaking the sprained left ankle that he first suffered in Saturday’s overtime victory in Dallas.LET THE ACHILLES HEALThe first encouraging sign after Kentavious Caldwell-Pope left the Lakers’ loss in Oklahoma City came at halftime, when the veteran guard returned to the court to put up shots and test his sore Achilles.That, at least, indicated he had not torn the tendon.“I don’t think you can shoot on a torn Achilles,” Walton said.Well, unless you are …“Unless you are Kobe Bryant,” Walton said, “then you can make some free throws.”Despite that initial positive sign, the team’s starting shooting guard was ruled out for Friday’s game against the Pacers. He was limping in the locker room late Wednesday and received treatment from team trainers on Thursday.Caldwell-Pope will be held out along with starting point guard Lonzo Ball, who will miss his third consecutive game with a sore left knee. The Lakers are 0-8 in games without Ball this season.Ingram is questionable against the Pacers, as is Kyle Kuzma, who suffered a sprained joint in his left hand.Caldwell-Pope, who averages 13.7 points, suffered the injury when he and Westbrook vied for a loose ball, with Westbrook rolling onto Caldwell-Pope’s lower leg.“Hopefully it’s short term,” Caldwell-Pope said after the Lakers’ 24-point loss.IN A HAYESThe Lakers plan to sign G-League star Nigel Hayes to a 10-day contract this week, bringing in a player who has spent time in the Lakers locker room – just not with the Lakers.When Hayes and the Wisconsin Badgers appeared at Staples Center in the West Regional of the NCAA Tournament in 2015, Hayes made waves on social media by celebrating the discovery that he had been assigned Kobe Bryant’s locker.There will be no chance of him getting his old locker back, however. Ingram famously occupies Bryant’s old station in the locker room.A 6-foot-8 forward, Hayes appeared in 30 games this season with the Westchester Knicks, averaging 14.9 points, 6.6 rebounds and more than two 3-poitners per game. Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error
Image Courtesy: Getty/PTIAdvertisement 9zfq1NBA Finals | Brooklyn Vs91svp9nWingsuit rodeo📽Sindre En6bn3l( IG: @_aubreyfisher @imraino ) a4diWould you ever consider trying this?😱fnhcCan your students do this? 🌚obydcRoller skating! Powered by Firework As the World Test Championship will kick off from 2023, the International Cricket Council(ICC) is already discussing on a reduction of the duration of tests from the current five days to four days. While The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) has spoken in favour of the four day tests, there have been a rise of counter arguments, with many preferring the legacy duration of five days. Now, Board of Control for Cricket (BCCI) president Sourav Ganguly has opened up on the matter.Advertisement Image Courtesy: Getty/PTIStarting from the 2023 World Test Championship, ICC is likely to trim down all further test series duration in the next decade, in an attempt to reduce the strain on cricketers they they usually face in a five day cycle.However, Ganguly believes at present, it is still very early to comment anything about the possible shortening of tests.Advertisement “First we will have to see the proposal, let it come and then we will see. It’s too early to say. Can’t comment just like this.” Dada spoke to reporters in an interview at Eden Gardens.Reminding the success of the Day Night test cricket, it too was subjected to criticism at an early stage. However, in the long run, day night tests have increased the inclination towards the game format, which turned out more spectators in test matches. The issue of bad lighting in matches is also gone, with the usage of floodlights during night time.Advertisement Although sounding new, the idea of a four day test has been tried and tested in the past. South Africa and Zimbabwe tried the concept for the first time in the history of the game in 2017.The most recent one took place between England and Ireland last summer. The test ended on day three, but an extension of 30 minutes was allotted on each day, that increased the total overs to be bowled to 98 from the usual 90.The England and Wales Cricket Board has come forward with a support for the idea of four day tests. “We’re definite proponents of the four-day Test concept but cautiously so,” an ECB spokesperson said in a recent interview.“We understand it’s an emotive topic for players, fans and others who have concerns about challenging the heritage of Test cricket,” the spokesperson added.While reducing the complexity of year around schedule of teams and also the workloads on players, the idea of four day tests will also free up around an estimated 40 days in a calendar year.Also read-An early look into the World Test Championship tableSA captain Faf du Plessis against idea of Super Series between Big 3 teams Advertisement