The Ebola virus is taking a deadly toll on the northern county of Lofa where the deadly disease initially crossed over from neighboring Guinea. More and more people in that county continue to be victimized by the virus.In a statistical report provided by the Lofa Health Team on the status of the situation in the county, made available to the Daily Observer Wednesday, August 13, there were 38 deaths recorded in three days. These include confirmed Ebola cases, probable and suspected. This report covers the three-day period August 8 to 11, 2014. The number of new contact cases within this period (August 8-11) stands at 81.The total deaths in the county since May 29, 2014 to date stands at 221. Lofa is so far one of the most highly affected counties.The update also disclosed that the number of patients presently at the Foya Care Center (August 8-11), one of the two Ebola centers in the country, stands at 81.New reported death amongst health workers (August 8-11) is one, totaling 12 deaths since the outbreak in May.During this period, 45 specimens were taken and tested: 15 were positive, 8 negative and the rest are still pending.President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf recently said she is saddened by the fast pace at which the virus is spreading in the country, especially to other communities that were not previously affected. “And what this means is that our people are still not listening to the pieces of advice and instructions that are being given.” Such instructions include constant hand washing; avoiding handshakes and touching in general; immediate reporting of cases of high fever, vomiting and bleeding; and avoiding touching anyone suspected to have the virus.Meanwhile it is being reported that nine members of a single family of 15 were being removed from the Macenta road community, in the capital Voinjama, to the Foya Care Center. This is, however, another worrying concern for the people of Voinjama City, as it wrestles in the grip of the virus.Macenta road community is located just after the Mandingo quarter where eight persons died few days ago, and is also a predominantly Mandingo community.According to sources, six members of this family of 15 had already died from the virus. The nine remaining family members were being taken to the Foya Care Center.President Sirleaf, while declaring a State of Emergency last week, said the Ebola threat continues to grow as a result of ignorance, poverty as well as entrenched religious and cultural practices. She indicated that these continue to exacerbate the spread of the disease, especially in the counties.The Liberian President added that actions allowed by statute under the public health law are no longer adequate to deal with the Ebola epidemic, as comprehensively and holistically, as the outbreak requires.The President noted that the scope and skills of the epidemic now exceed the capacity and statutory mandates of any one government agency or ministry. The Ebola virus disease, and the ramifications and the consequences thereof, now constitute an outright national calamity.Health authorities in Lofa County said due to the influx of suspected cases, patients are now being transported in pickup trucks, which have no sirens, rather than the ambulances, whose sirens are causing a lot of trauma for residents.Meanwhile, the Ministry of Health and Social Welfare Ebola Situation Report (SitRep) has recorded that since the outbreak of the virus in March to August 11, at least 149 confirmed deaths from 166 confirmed positive victims.Among the 149 have been 37 health workers out of 86, who now fallen prey to the virus.However, the SitRep lists total deaths in confirmed, probable and suspected cases as 355, for the record.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
A 36-year-old man was on Monday released on $250,000 bail by Chief Magistrate Ann McLennan on a rape charge.Mario Heywood appeared at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts where the charge was read to him. It is alleged that between October 1 and November 20, 2018, he raped a nine-year-old girl. The court heard that the child was left in his care when he committed the act.The child reportedly told her mother what had transpired and the matter was reported to the police. The suspect was recently arrested and charged for the offence. The case will continue on March 7, 2019.
Robinho in action for Brazil Former Manchester City and Real Madrid forward Robinho has signed for Chinese side Guangzhou Evergrande on a free transfer.The Brazilian will link up with former Tottenham midfielder Paulinho, who joined the club earlier on this summer for £9.9m.The 31-year-old had offers from sides in the Middle East, but he has instead elected to move to China on a six-month deal where he will be coached by former Brazil and Chelsea boss Luiz Felipe Scolari.A statement on the Guangzhou Evergrande’s website read: “July 16, 2015 in the afternoon, Guangzhou Evergrande Football Club officially announced Brazilian striker Robson de Souza (Robinho) formally signed.“Robinho joined on a free contract for a period of six months. After the expiration of the contract the club have a priority right of renewal.“The player will wear jersey number 60. He will have his medical around July 20 after joining up with the team in Guangzhou.” 1
DALY CITY, Calif. (AP) — Known for an attacking style that has led to two of three lowest 72-hole scores in LPGA Tour history, Sei Young Kim had to adapt to win the LPGA MEDIHEAL Championship at tight and tricky Lake Merced Golf Club.Already playing through a back injury that forced her to alter her swing, the 26-year-old South Korean overcame a rough start Sunday in cold and windy conditions, then fended off Bronte Law and Jeongeun Lee6 with a birdie on the first extra hole. She won for the eighth time on the LPGA Tour, improving to 4-0 in playoffs.“I think that this win very hardest to win in my life, ever,” Kim said. “Last seven wins, I played really well final round. But today I wasn’t good final round. So I think that playing style, little tough to win. It means a lot.”Kim Sei-young, of South Korea, smiles after winning the first playoff hole of the Lake Merced Golf Club to win the LPGA Mediheal Championship golf tournament Sunday, May 5, 2019, in Daly City, Calif. Kim was in a playoff with Bronte Law, of England, and Lee Jeong-eun, of South Korea. (AP Photo/Tony Avelar)Three strokes ahead entering the day, Kim opened with a double bogey and a bogey and dropped another stroke on No. 8. She birdied the par-5 15th to regain a share of the lead, dropped back with a bogey on the par-3 17th and birdied the par-5 18th for a 3-over 75 and a spot in the playoff at 7-under 281.“Even tough pin position, I try to go to the aggressive strategy,” Kim said. “But that strategy make the first hole and the second hole, third holes like no good result. After that I changed the strategy. If the pin position easy, going to the aggressive. If not, just avoid the pin, stay stable.”Law closed with a 65, finishing about 2 1/2 hours before Kim, and Lee6 had a 67.Kim nearly retraced her regulation path on the 18th in the playoff, almost driving into her own divot and hitting another 4-iron from 199 yards a foot closer than before onto the front right fringe.Kim Sei-young, of South Korea, kisses her trophy on 18th green of the Lake Merced Golf Club after winning the LPGA Mediheal Championship golf tournament Sunday, May 5, 2019, in Daly City, Calif. Kim was in a playoff with Bronte Law, of England, and Lee Jeong-eun, of South Korea. (AP Photo/Tony Avelar)Law left her approach short and right and pitched to 6 feet. Lee6’s approach bounced into the middle of the green, leaving her a 40-foot eagle putt that she hit 6 feet past. After Kim putted to 2 feet, Law missed her birdie putt to the right, and Lee6’s try went left. Kim then ended it.She won for fifth straight year and first since shooting 31-under 257 last summer in the Thornberry Creek LPGA Classic in Wisconsin to break the LPGA Tour record of 27-under 261 she shared with Annika Sorenstam.“Totally different,” Kim said. “When I shoot the 31 under and I look at the hole, just every hole in. But today, it wasn’t. Most hole like miss the hole.”Law, the 24-year-old former UCLA star from England, missed a chance to tie the LPGA Tour record for the largest comeback at 10 strokes.“Obviously, the greens are quite bumpy right now, it makes it kind of difficult at the end,” Law said. “Thought I hit a good putt there, so it didn’t go in. It happens.”She made five birdies in a six-hole stretch in the middle of the round and reached 7 under with a 4-wood to 4 feet for eagle on No. 15. She parred the last three, canceled her scheduled flight and waited to see if she’d win or get into a playoff.“Ultimately, waiting around that long is tough, to even get back into the mindset of, like, ‘OK, I got to go out and play again,’” Law said. “But that’s part of the job.”Lee6 played the final four holes in regulation in 4 under, holing a 12-footer for eagle on 15 and making birdies on 16 and 18.“Not really happy with the three putts,” Lee6 said through a translator.The 22-year-old South Korean has the number in her name because she was the sixth player with the name on the Korean LPGA. She has embraced the number, answering to it and writing a large “6” on her balls. Her South Korean fan club is called “Lucky 6.” Jeongeun Lee5 also plays the LPGA Tour.Lexi Thompson, Amy Yang, Eun-Hee Jiand Charley Hull tied for fourth at 5 under. Thompson, Yang and Ji each shot 71, and Hull had a 74. Hull eagled the 15th to get within a stroke of the lead, then bogeyed the 16th and parred the final two.TweetPinShare0 Shares