HOBOKEN — At Wednesday’s City Council meeting, the council voted 7-2 to host a referendum in November of 2018 to possibly bring back runoff elections.Until 2012, if several candidates ran in a mayor or council election in Hoboken, and no one got more than 50 percent, the top two vote-getters would compete in a final runoff. Ultimately, Mayor Dawn Zimmer and her supporters said the system was too costly and led to too much political wrangling, and supported a public referendum that did away with runoffs that year.But after this year’s six-way mayoral election, in which Mayor-Elect Ravi Bhalla won with 32.7 percent of the vote, the majority of the City Council (who backed the other candidates) voted 7-2 on Wednesday to hold a new referendum next November.However, late on Friday, Mayor Zimmer vetoed the measure. Councilman Michael DeFusco said on Twitter that he’d reintroduce it in 2018.For more on this and other stories, see this weekend’s print edition of the Hoboken Reporter, or come back to hudsonreporter.com starting Sunday.
Today, the official Jerry Garcia account posted on social media that Norm Van Maastricht passed away over the weekend. Van Maastricht was a longtime friend and collaborator of Jerry Garcia, with the two first meeting in Dana Morgan‘s music shop in Palo Alto, CA. Once acquainted, the two went onto play together in Hart Valley Drifters, a bluegrass band also featuring famed Grateful Dead lyricist Robert Hunter, New Riders of the Purple Sage co-founder and guitarist David Nelson, and Ken Frankel.Most recently, Van Maastricht and the Hart Valley Drifters were included on the Before The Dead box set, which compiled rare (many, previously unreleased) recordings of Jerry, showcasing his early beginnings before the Grateful Dead. Additionally, in 2016, the Hart Valley Drifters released an album, Folk Time. Derived from a lost recording from 1962, the album featured a recording of the band on Stanford University’s KZSU’s Folk Times program. After a student who had produced and recorded the session found them 46 years later in 2008, the album eventually got its official release in 2016.Hart Valley Drifters, Jerry Garcia – Folk Time – Full Album Van Maastricht also was an author, publishing a book in 2016 titled Paul Yandell, Second to the Best: A Sideman’s Chronicle—a book about the life and experiences of the Kentucky-born guitar player who became a sideman for Jerry Reed and Chet Atkins. Van Maastricht also published an extensive essay on his website following Jerry Garcia’s death, which featured his reflections on the famed Grateful Dead guitarist, though he noted “Jerry and I, while never ever having bad words, had drifted apart over the years due to vast differences in lifestyles.” Throughout his life, Van Maastricht continued to play, teach, and perform music.Rest in peace, Norm.
In that simulation, the flooding was caused by a storm, and the situation was elevated to red alert to provide FAES service members the opportunity to practice efficient and effective decision-making. The exercise allowed the participants to exercise judgment and evaluate a variety of pertinent elements to apply solutions. “From May 11-14, our officers participated in a simulation of a flood at the lower end of the Lempa River, covering the Departments of San Vicente and Usulután, where there are several communities that required assistance from our units and rescue teams,” said Colonel Mario Córdova Arriola, Coordinator of the FAES Logistics Sector Technical Committee. “In this training, we were able to plan responses and that lets us practice before a real emergency happens,” said Second Lieutenant Katerine Rodríguez, one of the participants in the exercise. “This way, we can react better and identify all the resources from FAES and other institutions to assist the population.” “The civilian population expects results from us … to take immediate action in this sort of situation, which can happen at any moment, especially now, when we are in the rainy season. The exercises complement the experiences we have had on the ground.” El Salvador Armed Forces (FAES) service members are using new technology to train for natural disasters and other emergencies when civilians rely on them for help: the Computerized Tactical Training Center (CETAC), which recreates realistic scenarios through precise mathematical models and complex calculations based on Salvadoran cartography. The FAES acquired its technological tools in 1995 from the Chilean Army’s Manufacturers and Armory (FAMAE); however, it had to develop modifications to the system to adjust it to local needs after the 2001 earthquakes changed the country’s geography and damaged its highway system. Such simulations — where factors such as environment, time, threats, Troop deployment, resources and terrain can be controlled – reduce FAES operating costs compared to doing the simulation with real resources. CETAC, which is is located in a modern building at the Doctrine and Military Education Command (CODEM), has the capacity to simultaneously train two teams of 36 service members each. By Dialogo June 19, 2015 “The simulators can be programmed for a variety of purposes, such as installation of bridges or repairs to obstructed roadways, as well as tracking statistical controls of available human resources and the materials used during the exercise,” Colonel Córdova Arriola said. A regional vision Flood simulation Lieutenant Commander Humberto Samayoa, another Officer participating in the training, noted the operational readiness and professionalism of the Military Rescue Brigades, who are committed to serving civilians. The new CETAC director, Colonel Jaime Ruiz Chávez, hopes to conduct the exercises with teams of Officers from the region through the Central American Armed Forces Conference (CFAC). In particular, the country’s rainy winters bring with them the frequent threat of flooding, creating dangerous, chaotic situations that the FAES needs to prepare for beforehand. That’s where the simulations created by CETAC, like one that took place in mid-May, prove their value. “This unit enjoys international prestige and we want to place it at the service of the region,” he said. “Therefore, we are going to work on improving the simulator, including maps of Central America, so that we can conduct these exercises with Military units from allied nations.”
“[Bulis and Smith did an] exceptional job, [we are] very proud of them,” Masi said. “Unfortunately, we just came up short.” USC turns its focus to Tuesday’s match against Wisconsin in Madison, Wis., and the ITA National Team Indoor Tournament, also set in Madison, Friday through Monday. The No. 1 USC men’s tennis team traveled to Columbus, Ohio to take on No. 2 Ohio State Sunday, falling 4-2 to the Buckeyes in a tightly contested matchup. The Buckeyes started off strong, winning two of their three doubles matches against USC. Ohio State’s partnership of No. 70 sophomore James Trotter and freshman Justin Boulais narrowly beat the team of Bulis and Holt 7-6 in a tiebreaker. Additionally, No. 31 redshirt senior Kyle Seelig and No. 22 freshman Cannon Kingsley also beat the Trojans’ pair of Dostanic and Frye, 6-4. Masi attributed some of the issues the Trojans faced in Columbus to the fact that the matches were played indoors. USC has tended to play better on outdoor courts like those at David X. Marks Tennis Stadium, the Trojans’ home courts. Down 0-1, the Trojans tried to bounce back in singles play with Cukierman set to face off against Kingsley. However, the nation’s top player was upset by the freshman Buckeye, losing in straight sets 6-4 and 6-2. Building off the surprising win, No. 19 junior John McNally defeated Holt in 6-3 and 6-4 sets. It was Holt’s first loss of the season as the senior entered the weekend at 11-0 in doubles play and 7-0 in singles play on the season. Smith kept the Trojans alive by knocking off Seelig in a tough match, winning 3-6, 6-1 and 6-4. Masi also praised Smith for his work against the ranked opponent. “Riley obviously coming back from a set behind … winning in three sets — that was awesome,” Masi said. However, the Trojans’ comeback attempt fell short there. Dostanic fell to Trotter 6-4, 6-7 (4) and 6-2 win to put USC away. Senior Riley Smith was one of two Trojans to win their match at Ohio State. Smith defeated Ohio State redshirt senior Kyle Seelig. (Daily Trojan file photo) USC brought their top players to the contest: No. 1 junior Daniel Cukierman, No. 15 sophomore Mor Bulis, No. 24 senior Brandon Holt, No. 33 senior Riley Smith, No. 65 freshman Stefan Dostanic, No. 69 freshman Ryder Jackson and sophomore Bradley Frye. Ohio State was coming off a big win against then-No.1 Texas Feb. 1 and now looked to challenge the Trojans on their home courts. However, USC fought back. First, Bulis was able to win easily against Boulais in two straight 6-2 sets. Head coach Brett Masi applauded Bulis’ impressive performance. Despite the disappointing outcome and USC likely losing its top seed, Masi had some positive takeaways from the weekend. Overall, he was impressed by both Bulis and Smith and their contributions to the team effort. “They struggled with the [climate] elements — I think everybody did,” Masi said about the indoor setting. “It is just getting used to the elements of playing in different environments. Like indoors, as opposed to playing outdoors, is just a different type of tennis, and [we] got to get acclimated to it.” “Mor did a really good job in his singles match,” Masi said. “[He] played a great match, beating [Boulais], two in two [sets].”
The injuries have marked Raphael Varane’s career. But there is one that the French central Real Madrid will never forget. It happened on May 11, 2013. That day, with Pepe punished for publicly censoring Mourinho for his stance regarding Casillas (“You have to have a little more respect for Iker), the Portuguese coach gave him the title and broke the right meniscus. A lesion much more complicated than it seemed at first because what was damaged was the external meniscus and not the internal. “72% of the external meniscus was removed, more or less,” he revealed in The spar. The shadow of that injury plans on Varane whenever, after chaining four or five games, he stops. But the Frenchman has already assured on more than one occasion that it is already perfect. Injuries have haunted him since his stage in France and that has strengthened him mentally- “We have to find solutions to solidify, to strengthen the injury and mentally, so as not to be afraid of coming into contact or doing certain careers, certain jumps. You have to take advantage of these stops to be stronger mentally and physically, to work on things where you don’t have time to work when you train and play all the time. The injury should not be seen as a waste of time, but rather as a time when you can work on something else and strengthen elsewhere, “says Onze Mondial.” Is the injury random? “They ask. French reveals: “Yes, that is the feeling I had. I kept looking to change certain things, certain habits. For 23 years I had the same breakfast. For one night I told myself that it didn’t work, that I was injured and changed (smiles). I changed some habits like that overnight. I looked, I looked. And right now, I’m doing pretty well, and I keep looking, improving all the time. “Varane’s daily work is also focused on prevention: “I work more on deep things: posture, joints, general balance … It really compensates the muscles. I try to anticipate where I might have tension and when I have it in certain places, the idea is to eliminate it as soon as possible, before the muscle suffers. “This season, the Frenchman has not suffered any injuries …
A CO DONEGAL girl has been chosen to audition for the TV stages of a hit Sky TV show.Sarah Kennedy, from Portnoo, was Miss Donegal and Miss Ireland last year.The 22-year-old will feature on the Sky Living Channel next Thursday in the search for Britain and Ireland’s Next Top Model. Sarah has revealed that travelling to London for the audition was just her third time she had been on a plane.And it was her first time on London’s Underground.“It was my first time on a train,” said Sarah, “and I was really freaking out.”“I didn’t realise it bounced around like that.” She is hoping she can go a long way in the show.“This is my dream,” she said.“I want to be here and I know I deserve to be here. And I know I had to go to London to do this because there aren’t any modelling agencies at home.“God didn’t give me long legs, red hair and fair skin for nothing; this is what I am meant to do.”Sky sources have told Donegal Daily that Sarah has done really well so far; the pre-recorded auditions will be shown next Thursday. Judges include singer Danni Minogue and supermodel Elle MacPherson.REVEALED: DONEGAL GIRL IN BID TO BE NEXT TOP MODEL was last modified: June 16th, 2013 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:REVEALED: DONEGAL GIRL IN BID TO BE NEXT TOP MODEL