Entergy Corporation today announced it has provided to Vermont Attorney General William Sorrell the results of its independent internal investigation into alleged contradictory or misleading information provided to the state government by company officials about underground piping at the Vermont Yankee nuclear plant.The report, prepared by the law firm of Morgan Lewis and Bockius LLP, did not find that any Entergy Nuclear Vermont Yankee employees intentionally misled the Vermont Public Service Board, the Department of Public Service, a Public Oversight Panel assessing the plant’s reliability as part of its application for renewal of its operating license, or a contracting firm working for the panel, Nuclear Safety Associates.The report noted that the communications in question were made by Entergy employees in the context of the scope defined by the state’s contractor, Nuclear Safety Associates, in performing the reliability assessment. The Entergy responses were limited to only pipes that touch soil (not those encased in concrete), that carry liquid (not gaseous matter) and that are part of whole systems as defined by law. However, the Entergy employees’ failure to specify the context of their communication led to misunderstandings and, taken out of that context, the responses were incomplete and misleading, the report maintained.As a result of that failure, Entergy has removed five senior Vermont Yankee employees from their positions at Vermont Yankee and placed them on administrative leave. They are the vice president for operations, director of nuclear safety assurance, manager of licensing, technical specialist and senior project manager.The company also reprimanded an additional six managerial employees. All the discipline taken had financial consequences for the employees involved. Michael Colomb, Entergy Vermont Yankee site vice president, was reprimanded for failure to maintain an organization that adhered to the highest standards of conduct in all actions and communications.In a statement, Colomb said he was disappointed in how the contradictory or misleading information was given to the state and he, as the lead Entergy official at Vermont Yankee, took responsibility for what happened.”While there was no intentional wrongdoing, it is not consistent with our expectations at Vermont Yankee or in the nuclear industry, nor is it consistent with our values at Entergy,” Colomb said.Entergy Corporation’s online address is www.entergy.com(link is external)SOURCE Entergy Corporation. MONTPELIER, Vt., Feb. 24 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ —
The USC beach volleyball team won the NCAA National Championship on May 7, beating Pepperdine 3-2 to clinch the program’s third consecutive national title.The No. 1 ranked Trojans had been dominant all year, finishing with a 38-1 record, so it was no surprise they found themselves in Gulf Shores, Ala. last weekend, looking to defend their back-to-back national championships. USC carried its regular-season momentum into the National Collegiate Beach Volleyball Championship, running rampant through the competition. Facing the top programs in the nation, the Trojans were flawless, and they swept South Carolina, Hawaii and Pepperdine to earn a spot in the final.But for the first time since their sole loss of the season against UCLA in the Pac-12 Championship, the Trojans faced major adversity in their rematch against Pepperdine. The first dual of the final matchup went in favor of Pepperdine’s Deahna Kraft and Anika Wilson, who downed the young pair of sophomore Abril Bustamante and freshman Joy Dennis. The Trojans responded quickly, as juniors Jenna Belton and and Jo Kremer dispensed of their competition 21-18, 21-15.With the two teams tied at 1-1, Pepperdine’s Brittany Howard and Corinne Quiggle regained the Waves’ advantage with a tough three-set victory over seniors Sophie Bukovec and Allie Wheeler. The seesawing affair continued with the Trojans’ decorated senior pair of Kelly Claes and Sara Hughes winning another tightly contested three-set dual, evening the match at two wins apiece.Both teams were set for a deciding final matchup with the National Championship on the line. It was up to junior Terese Cannon and senior Nicolette Martin to notch a win over Pepperdine’s Skylar Caputo and Heidi Dyer and bring home another national title. After capturing the first set 21-19, the Trojan pair dropped the second 18-21, setting up a dramatic final frame in an already razor-thin final.But the Trojans were able to seize the moment, as Cannon and Martin won the title-clinching set 15-13, giving USC 104 all-time NCAA team championships. For seniors Kelly Claes, Sophie Bukovec, Allie Wheeler, Sara Hughes and Nicolette Martin — who made up head coach Anna Collier’s first recruiting class — the win over Pepperdine marked their third national championship in four years at USC.“They came in and pretty much set the tone from the beginning,” Collier said. “From the moment they were sophomores, they took control of the situation and started building a team culture. They improved so much in volleyball, but more than that, they became a unit.”Collier refers to the group as the “Fab Five,” and on Sunday, the senior class solidified its legacy in USC history, giving the Trojans their 20th NCAA championship in women’s sports.“It came down to those last two points,” Claes said. “It was just an unreal feeling — I’m on cloud nine right now. I’m just so proud of all these girls and the fight that all of us had.”To wrap up a season full of silverware, the Trojans had three pairs selected to the all-tournament team, including Claes and Hughes, who were named the top overall pair. Cannon and Martin were honored as the No. 3 pair, with Bustamante and Dennis following just behind in No. 4.
The Red Sox have decided to switch up their roster as they try to maneuver out of a rough start to the season.The defending World Series champions have activated catcher Sandy Leon and designated catcher Blake Swihart for assignment, the team announced Tuesday. Prior to tonight’s game against the New York Yankees, the Boston #RedSox announced the following roster moves: pic.twitter.com/ftRwcgWosV— Boston Red Sox (@RedSox) April 16, 2019MORE: Watch ‘ChangeUp,’ a new MLB live whiparound show on DAZNLeon’s primary purpose in returning from Triple-A Pawtucket will be to catch ace Chris Sale, who has struggled mightily in 2019. In three starts, he has an abysmal 9.00 ERA and is winless as he takes the mound Tuesday at Yankee Stadium.Sale and fellow starter Rick Porcello prefer Leon behind home plate. While Leon, who was the odd catcher out at the end of spring training, wasn’t a huge offensive power last season, he led catchers in 2018 with a 3.29 catcher’s ERA in 89 games. Christian Vazquez has been Boston’s primary starting catcher this season.Swihart, a first-round pick in 2011 and once a top prospect in the Red Sox farm system, has struggled with injuries since making his MLB debut in 2015. In 203 games with the Red Sox, he has slashed .255/.314/.365 with nine homers and 58 RBIs.The Red Sox are tied for last place in the AL East at 6-11 heading into Tuesday’s game against the Yankees (6-9).