Oppn flays UP govt after Centre says altering SC list beyond states

first_imgLucknow: With the Centre on Tuesday declaring the Uttar Pradesh government’s move to include 17 OBC communities into the scheduled castes list beyond the state’s power, the state opposition parties accused the Adityanath government of trying to mislead people.The state government had on June 24 directed district adminstration to issue SC certificates to 17 OBCs – Kashyap, Rajbhar, Dhivar, Bind, Kumhar, Kahar, Kewat, Nishad, Bhar, Mallah, Prajapati, Dhimar, Batham, Turha, Godia, Manjhi and Machua. Also Read – How a psychopath killer hid behind the mask of a devout laity!Responding to a Zero Hour mention by BSP member Satish Chandra Misra in Rajya Sabha, Social Justice and Empowerment Minister Thawar Chand Gehlot Tuesday said shifting one caste to another category by the Uttar Pradesh government was “not proper” and only the Parliament has the power to do so. Maintaining that the UP government move was not in accordance with the Constitution, Gehlot said if the state government wants to go ahead with its proposal, it should follow the procedure and send a proposal to the Centre. Also Read – Encounter under way in Pulwama, militant killedIn Uttar Pradesh, the BSP, which has been in the forefront of opposing the state government move, said the Adityanath government’s order was against the spirit of the Constitution and the Centre has cleared the misunderstanding over the issue. “It was an unconstitutional order and a fraud with these castes as this would have left members of these castes deprived of benefits even under the OBC category,” a senior BSP leader said on condition on anonymity. “Even the President (of India) does not have the power to tinker, alter or make changes (in the list),” BSP MP, Satish Chandra Misra told the Rajya Sabha earlier in the day.last_img read more