Fifty-seven school administrators, including principals and vice-principals, graduate today, May 29, as the second class of the Nova Scotia Instructional Leadership Academy. “Congratulations to all of this year’s graduates for their commitment to teaching and leadership excellence,” said Education and Early Childhood Development Minister Karen Casey. “This program directly helps students by ensuring the leaders in their schools have modern, practical and proven teaching strategies that will help students and teachers.” Introduced in September 2010, the Nova Scotia Instructional Leadership Program is a three-year diploma program that provides principals and other instructional leaders with the skills and knowledge they need to improve their instruction and leadership abilities. “The program has been a great support for me,” said Ben McNeil, vice-principal, Digby Regional High School. “It provides well-reasoned, evidence-based approaches to education instruction that I can use when working with staff to provide the best quality learning environment.” The program was designed with principals, school boards, the Nova Scotia Teachers Union, the Nova Scotia School Boards Association, universities, and the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development. Principals had asked for more effective instructional leadership support. For more information on the program, visit nselc.ednet.ns.ca/ .
New Delhi: The Centre will initiate work on the infrastructure development of Sultanpur Lodhi town as proposed by the Punjab government at the earliest, Union Minister Hardeep Singh Puri assured Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh on Friday. The Chief Minister had called on Puri, the Minister of State for Housing and Urban Affairs, here to press for early approval for the Rs 321 crore infrastructure development projects proposed by the state government for Sultanpur Lodhi town. Also Read – Modi formed OBC commission which earlier govts didn’t do: Shah The town holds historical significance due to its association with Guru Nanak Dev, whose 550th Prakash Purb is being celebrated this year. Puri said he had already instructed the department to immediately vet the proposals and secure the necessary approvals to start work on priority, an official spokesperson told IANS after the meeting. To the Chief Minister’s request for inclusion of the three Municipal Corporation towns of Patiala, Bathinda and SAS Nagar in the Smart Cities Project being assisted by the Central government on a sharing basis, Puri assured to consider the same as and when the project is expanded to cover new cities. Also Read – Prohibitory orders lifted from Mumbai’s stir-hit Aarey Colony The Union Minister said he was committed to helping Punjab in any way he could and would look into the demands of the state. He later told mediapersons that he would ensure maximum flights from Punjab to cater to the demand for global travel. The Chief Minister said, in response to media queries after the meeting, that the Union Minister had promised to look into the state’s demands related to urban development and aviation. Earlier, during the meeting, Amarinder Singh said Patiala, besides being an old heritage city, had also been declared a Counter-Magnet Town to the national capital region (NCR) by the NCR Planning Board. Strengthening infrastructure in all the Counter-Magnet Towns would also help in reducing migration to Delhi, he pointed out. The Chief Minister also urged Puri to approve early clearance for a NCR Planning Board loan for the Patiala Nadi Hydrology project, for which the state government would soon submit a formal proposal. Bathinda, he said, was a fast growing and principal town in southern Punjab while SAS Nagar (Mohali) was a satellite town of Chandigarh with the highest growth potential in Punjab. To strengthen the state’s global connectivity, the Chief Minister sought inclusion of Chandigarh under the Open Skies Policy for Asean countries, while asking for an urgent review of the current policy of bilateral spots to facilitate more international flights out of Chandigarh, especially to the Gulf countries and Turkey, thereby enabling greater connectivity with the rest of the world. The Chief Minister also asked the Union Minister to consider the proposal to name Adampur Airport as Jalandhar Airport for easy booking of flights by tourists and NRIs. On the occasion, Puri presented his book “Delusional Politics” to the Chief Minister.
In the last eight weeks in Midleton we have have two children, seven and two, who are both dead. It makes me madBuckley will put an emergency motion demanding a full inquiry to the town council next Tuesday, and will also be asking the HSE to put the ambulance base back into Midleton. He also plans to lobby TDs on the issue.He said that the tragic death has “affected the whole town. It’s like there is a black cloud over Midleton and East Cork”.Read: National targets for ambulance response times to be abandoned>Read: HSE clarifies ambulance response time after death of boy (7)> THERE IS A ‘black cloud’ over Midleton in East Cork after the tragic death of a toddler, a local councillor has said.Sinn Féin councillor Pat Buckley told TheJournal.ie that he has been inundated with calls from concerned people after the boy, named locally as Vakaris Martinaitis (2), died following a fall from an upstairs window at his home.Cork All-Ireland winning hurler Kevin Hennessy saw the family moments after the fall and told Morning Ireland he rang the ambulance service but was told that there was no ambulance available in their area at that time to bring the child to hospital.He brought the child to South Doc and Martinaitis, who was conscious but had a graze over his left eye and a swollen forehead, was subsequently driven to hospital by Hennessy.Cllr Buckley said that he is angry at the way the ambulance service in East Cork has been reorganised and is calling for a full inquiry into the death of the toddler. Martinaitis’s death follows the death in March of seven-year-old James Casey Butler.HSEThe HSE said today that extends its sympathies to the family of the deceased child. It said that to establish an accurate account of this incident, it has asked the National Ambulance Service to examine the details of what occurred and to provide an account of the facts.Buckley said he is “very angry and very bitter about the situation and the HSE and ambulance service in East Cork”. He said that at a meeting last year when the HSE was changing the ambulance system, he asked if it could promise that there would be an ambulance “24 hours, seven days a week, 365 days year in Midleton” and was told there would be.He said that it doesn’t make sense not to have an ambulance service based in Midleton, given that such a service took on average 220 calls a month when it was in the area.Buckley said there is a lot of anger in Midleton following the news of the boy’s death, and the situation regarding the ambulance service.He has called for a full inquiry into the death of the young boy. People in Midleton are “terrified” because of the ambulance situation, he said.The system is diabolical – it’s not working.