About 550 members of various Tamil outfits including the May 17 Movement, MDMK, Tamilaga Makkal Jananayaka Katchi (TMJK), Social Democratic Party of India (SDPI) and others were arrested on the Marina in Chennai on Sunday when they defied the ban order and went ahead to stage a candlelight vigil for victims of the last phase of the Eelam War, the New Indian Express reported.With an intention of paying homage to the Sri Lankan Tamils killed during the last phase of Eelam War in the island nation in 2009, about 550 members of the Tamil outfits gathered on the Bharathi Salai near the Marina Beach on Sunday evening. They marched towards the beach under the leadership of Vaiko, MDMK general secretary, Thirumurugan Gandhi, coordinator of the May 17 Movement, and Dehlan Baqavi, SDPI Tamil Nadu unit president. Before commencing the rally, they raised various slogans, urging the UN Human Rights Council to take steps to punish those who committed the genocide and war crimes against Sri Lankan Tamils during the civil war. The participants were holding placards through which they highlighted their demands such as international enquiry into the genocide. Thirumurugan Gandhi said, “To pay tribute to the departed souls is our right and it’s a tradition of Tamils. Hence, we would continue the same kind of tribute in coming years too despite the police ban.”Hundreds of police personnel were deployed at the Marina beach from the morning of Sunday and the visitors were grilled before the entering the beach.In the evening, the police allowed common people, who wore black shirts, only after elaborate enquiries triggered by suspicions whether they were protesters.Last year too, the police arrested those who came to Marina to stage a candlelight vigil. Thirumurugan Gandhi was even subsequently detained under the Goondas Act. (Colombo Gazette) Speaking to media, Vaiko said, “Even Sri Lanka, which had allegedly committed genocide and war crimes against Tamils, has allowed paying tributes to the victims. But the Tamil Nadu government has banned the event. It is highly deplorable”.
Carnivore Keeper Rosa King with the tigers at Hamerton Zoo Park, on World Tiger DayCredit:Peterborough Tel / SWNS.com The district council, which is responsible for issuing the zoo’s licence, said: “Both the police and the council are working together within routine protocols to progress investigations into the incident as efficiently and effectively as possible.”It has emerged the zoo’s owners were warned about their ageing barriers four years ago.The zoo described Ms King’s death as a “freak accident”, but it was heavily criticised in an inspection by officials in 2013 that forced it to make improvements. A Cambridgeshire Police spokeswoman said the decision to collaborate on the case had been made on Tuesday afternoon, but could not say why the force had changed its mind.A spokesman for the zoo said it was “co-operating fully with the investigation that is currently being conducted by Huntingdonshire District Council Environmental Health Department”. The wildlife park opened in June 1990 and covers 25 acres. It includes enclosures for Malaysian tigers, Bengal tigers, cheetahs, wolves, corsac foxes, kangaroos as well as a variety of birds, reptiles and domestic animals.The zoo opened a new enclosure for its Malaysian tigers in July last year. Police have launched an investigation into the death of zookeeper Rosa King, who was mauled by a tiger, despite previously describing it as “non-suspicious”.The 33-year-old was fatally attacked during an incident at Hamerton Zoo Park near Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire, on Monday.Emergency services were called to the scene at around 11.15am but initially described Rosa’s death as “non-suspicious”. However, they have since launched a joint investigation with Huntingdon District Council, and officers were today seen arriving at the zoo. Show more Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily Front Page newsletter and new audio briefings.